So sick of my dual rec. Is a Peavey 6505+ in my future?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey KH, do you sell power conditioners by any chance? :)

No offense intended, but you recommend one for just about every problem... which it won't cure. If you're having trouble with AC line voltage variation or line-borne noise, they're a great solution, but just about every problem I've seen mentioned here is not caused by those things and a power conditioner won't do anything at all to fix.

Sure, a power conditioner doesn't do anything bad, and if you want to spend the money and carry the extra gear there's no reason not to have one... but it isn't necessary or even useful to solve almost any of these issues. If you're getting problems with tone variation randomly or when you move from one venue to another, then you may need one, because those problems *are* often caused by the supply.

But an amp that sounds bad when it's turned up loud, or starts to sound off after a fixed time of use, or just doesn't have the tone you want from comparing it to a recording (of a different amp even!), or several other things, are *not* caused by AC line problems.

I'm not saying "don't buy a power conditioner" - just that you need to know what to buy one for and why.

just boost the recto with an overdrive and turn that prescence down. you should have a nice tone then...aliitle more mid though....don t change the speakers please..v30s is the ultimate metal speakers

94Tremoverb said:
Hey KH, do you sell power conditioners by any chance? :)

No offense intended, but you recommend one for just about every problem... which it won't cure. If you're having trouble with AC line voltage variation or line-borne noise, they're a great solution, but just about every problem I've seen mentioned here is not caused by those things and a power conditioner won't do anything at all to fix.

Sure, a power conditioner doesn't do anything bad, and if you want to spend the money and carry the extra gear there's no reason not to have one... but it isn't necessary or even useful to solve almost any of these issues. If you're getting problems with tone variation randomly or when you move from one venue to another, then you may need one, because those problems *are* often caused by the supply.

But an amp that sounds bad when it's turned up loud, or starts to sound off after a fixed time of use, or just doesn't have the tone you want from comparing it to a recording (of a different amp even!), or several other things, are *not* caused by AC line problems.

I'm not saying "don't buy a power conditioner" - just that you need to know what to buy one for and why.

Nope, I don't sell power conditioners. Maybe the power in the state I live in is crap, since it involves random sources of grid power feeding in such as solar panels, nto to mention the mines use a substantial amount of power from the grid, cause inconsistency in the power coming into my home. I've found that it fixes a lot of problems that peopke try to spend hundreds and even thousands to fix the problem. Nevertheless, I wouldn't say it will 100% fix the problem, but it might help...

I was beginning to wonder if it was some sort of long-running joke I was missing, being fairly new round here :).

If you live in a place with crappy AC power you're probably right. I would never recommend buying one just on the chance it might solve a problem though - not until you're sure there is nothing wrong with the amp, anyway. Or even that you have the right amp...!

As far as power conditioners go, I can't believe I ever played without one. Nuff said.

You guys talking codintioners or regulators, big difference between the two. The regulator will cost more but might be worth it depending on where you are playing.

Conditioner= will stop power spikes, however will not make up if your power goes down.

Regulator= Will keep a constant 120 volts at all time as well as prevent spikes.

RGT said:
As far as power conditioners go, I can't believe I ever played without one. Nuff said.

siggy14 said:
You guys talking codintioners or regulators, big difference between the two. The regulator will cost more but might be worth it depending on where you are playing.

Conditioner= will stop power spikes, however will not make up if your power goes down.

Regulator= Will keep a constant 120 volts at all time as well as prevent spikes.

RGT said:

Definitely a difference there for sure. But for home use (I guess I was making a big assumption), either will do to give some sort of improvement in tone...

Back