Rough Sound Check - Frenzel 5E3 Deluxe

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soundchaser59

Reaction score
This is the amp, 5E3 Deluxe Plus running two EL34's and a 5751 (70% gain) in V1, 12AX7EH in V2:
http://www.frenzeltubeamps.com/id13.html

This is the test clip (320kb MP3):
http://www.soundchasermusic.net/demos/frenzel5e3fm_320.mp3

Just to give you an idea what the raw amp sounds like. Total slop playing, ignore that. Note that when I rave about the sound of this amp, I am playing it thru Weber Michigans. But my mic booth has en EVM15L in it, and the sound does NOT translate well. (I'm very tempted to get a 15 inch Michigan!) The EV makes it sound a lot more raw and rough than the Webers do. My feeling is the Weber Michigans and the Frenzel were made for each other, while EV's are better left to the Mesa's and Diamonds. There is also no guarantee that my mic placement is the best. C414 and AT2035 each about 12-15 inches from the speaker rim edge, on axis. No other processing, other than the Barber pedal. The sound here in person in the room in front of the Weber Michigans is where I get the "Duane Allman Delusion" going! 10 feet in front of the Michigan is the only place my claims are guaranteed! LOL!!

This is a MIA Standard Strat with Noiseless Pups, everything played on neck position with all guitar knobs on full.

The settings on the Frenzel were (knobs from left to right in the Frenzel photo):

inputs F and M = 20%
bass = 10%
mid = 50%
treb = 35%
master = 100%
pres = 100% + pulled for boost

Barber TP settings:
volume = 65%
blend = 65%
sustain = 100%

The slop in the clip is:

0 - 1:14 = F input, no pedals.

1:14 - 2:41 = F input + Barber Tone Press

2:41 - 3:30 = M input, no pedals

3:30 - 4:28 = M input + Barber Tone Press

This is only a test. If this had been a real emergency you would be instructed.....

(Never mind, wrong public service announcement!)

Just remember, my mic technique sucks, the EV is brutally honest and not a good match for the vintage Fender sound, and if you play this thing full blast with Weber Michigans you too will feel like eating peaches while driving a motorcycle....

thanks for your time.

Back