Roadster No Sound

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JW123

Reaction score
Help me guys.

I have a Roadster, had it for more than a year now and no problems.

First, The other night I ran a line out from my Triple Rec slave out into the send return of the Roadster. Making a psuedo stereo rig. Ive done this many times and never had any kind of issues. It was working normally at this point. I didnt plug a guitar straight in to the amp after I did this.

Anyway, I had a gig this weekend and used the Triple and since we have another gig this coming weekend I left the Triple in my equipment trailer. I thought I would play the Roadster a little on my lunch break and plugged a guitar up and no sound. I changed guitar cords no difference. The tubes are lit up and its making the noises it normally does when fired up. Since I had put a cord into the effects return the other day I put a patch cord between the send and return to see if that did anything still nothing. I only had a few minutes at lunch and was just going to play for a few minutes. What should I try next. Whenever Ive blown a fuse the whole amp shuts down so it cant be a fuse. I recently put a full set of tubes in the amp. Im running EL 34s at the moment. I did play with the channel switch on back and it did make some pops when I swept it back and forth. I hard bypassed the effects and tryed switching the channel switch on the back of the amp to see if I could get a sound. Later tonight I will try some more stuff.

The only other thing I can think of at the moment is that last night I was sweeping the floor around it and I may have pulled the pedal switch loose from the pedal board. It seems like before I pulled the cable out and ran the amp before.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

JW123 said:
Help me guys.

I have a Roadster, had it for more than a year now and no problems.

First, The other night I ran a line out from my Triple Rec slave out into the send return of the Roadster. Making a psuedo stereo rig. Ive done this many times and never had any kind of issues. It was working normally at this point. I didnt plug a guitar straight in to the amp after I did this.

Anyway, I had a gig this weekend and used the Triple and since we have another gig this coming weekend I left the Triple in my equipment trailer. I thought I would play the Roadster a little on my lunch break and plugged a guitar up and no sound. I changed guitar cords no difference. The tubes are lit up and its making the noises it normally does when fired up. Since I had put a cord into the effects return the other day I put a patch cord between the send and return to see if that did anything still nothing. I only had a few minutes at lunch and was just going to play for a few minutes. What should I try next. Whenever Ive blown a fuse the whole amp shuts down so it cant be a fuse. I recently put a full set of tubes in the amp. Im running EL 34s at the moment. I did play with the channel switch on back and it did make some pops when I swept it back and forth. I hard bypassed the effects and tryed switching the channel switch on the back of the amp to see if I could get a sound. Later tonight I will try some more stuff.

The only other thing I can think of at the moment is that last night I was sweeping the floor around it and I may have pulled the pedal switch loose from the pedal board. It seems like before I pulled the cable out and ran the amp before.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Sounds to me like a preamp tube problem, did you check the preamp tubes? I would take a look and see if any of your preamp tubes have a white dome... if you find one that does that tube is blown.

BTW, you were plugged straight into the amp right? No pedals or anything before the amp? If not plug straight into the amp.

yeah try the preamp tubes. also try plugging the guitar into the effects return on the amp

An update it must be a preamp tube. I just put a fresh set of Mesa tubes in there.

Last night I plugged my POD PRO into the effects return and the power amp section was working fine. It was late and the amp was hot and you guys know how tight it is in there getting all the tubes out, so tonight I will start checking preamp tubes til I find the culprit.

I kinda likes the way it sounded with the POD plugged in. The one thing I noticed is that the POD tone stays consistent at any volume level, where as when I use the preamp section of the Roadster I have to tweak the tone controls for whatever volume level I decide to play at, and sometimes at gigs if Im not careful I wind up with a muddier sound than I would like. The POD stayed tighter to my ears.

If I could find one of those dual 20 watt Mesa poweramps it might make a good setup with the POD PRO as a Pre.

Thanks for the help.

Jdurso, do you leave the spring loaded covers on your preamp tubes? SOme of the NOS tubes I was using were bigger than the standard Mesa tubes. But I recently put a full complement of Mesa tubes back in and put all the covers back on. I actually broke the tip off of a nice old RCA tube with the covers.

JW123 said:
Jdurso, do you leave the spring loaded covers on your preamp tubes? SOme of the NOS tubes I was using were bigger than the standard Mesa tubes. But I recently put a full complement of Mesa tubes back in and put all the covers back on. I actually broke the tip off of a nice old RCA tube with the covers.

Not with the NOS tubes for the exact reason you cited. BTW sounds like your on the right track.. i bet you'll find a tube (probably V1 or V2) with a white dome and that will be the culprit. I say V1 or V2 because i find when the other slots are going you still get some sound .

Update,

jdurso it was the V 1 tube it was milked, but it also blew the side out of it. First time Ive had a tube go that way.

Thanks for the help!

JW123 said:
Update,

jdurso it was the V 1 tube it was milked, but it also blew the side out of it. First time Ive had a tube go that way.

Thanks for the help!

Yeah i had that first the first time a few months ago.... the shard that blew out was inside the amp which sacred the hell out of me.

Latest posts

Back