Red/Orange Vintage/Modern Whats it all really mean???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yetti

Reaction score
Hey fellas so i just need help wrapping my head around the names of channels and their colors and then the channel cloning and what it all is in dumb guy talk.
So i just bought a 2 Channel Black Face Rev F Triple Rec, and its got 2 channels. Im used to refering my channels as 1 & 2 and Clean or Heavy ect. So this color thing is new to me.

So theres a few things i just need help grasping on the triple. So how i figure it, is its labeld Orange on the top, so that i would consider my clean channel, and it has a switch on the back for variable high gain and then clean. i get that, I mostly run it clean, and if i switch to the high gain its a more bluesy gain.

And the bottom is what i would refer as to the heavy channel, or modern and in this case its color is red? i think?

now heres the tricky part its got the channel cloning switch on the back or channel style. it says ORG TO MODERN - NORMAL - RED TO VINTAGE
So When i flick say the switch to the left it says Red to Vintage. Im changing just that second channel to vintage?
Where does the cloning come in, does basically the vintage match the variable High Gain on channel 1/Orange?

Then i flick to the other side of that switch and it says ORG to MODERN, So that is changing just channel 1 then? and giving me 2 modern channels? I havnent spent more than 15 minutes flicking the switches but upon actually writing this out this makes sense...am i on point here fellas?
-Yetti

Under 'normal' conditions;

Orange = Vintage High Gain = Channel 1
Red = Modern High Gain = Channel 2

Using the clean switch in the back disables some of channel 1's gain stages (not sure how many).

Channel cloning lets you 'clone' channels....

Org to Modern
Orange = Modern High Gain
Red = Modern High Gain

Red to Vintage
Orange = Vintage High Gain
Red = Vintage High Gain

And, just to give you a heads up;

Channel 1 is voiced warmer and spongier than channel 2.
Channel 2 is voiced brighter and tighter than channel 1.

I have mine set up with channel 1 being lead and channel 2 being my clean to rhythm as you can actually go from clean to high gain on either channel by using your guitar's volume knob and/or pickup selector.

Unless you absolutely MUST have a nice warm squeaky clean, orange set to "variable high gain" makes for an awesome lead channel. Red to vintage just is not the same. I prefer red on modern for an articulate and huge crunch rhythm tone.

Thanks Guys Ill scoop in that channel one into the vairable and try her out, i remember when i did riff on it for a few minutes i did like the gain on it for that few minutes before switching back to the clean.
The clean still lacks some life to me but can sound pretty good, but i dont mind testing out the Pickup and volume bouncing idea.
Thats probably the first thing i taught myself on a guitar go to clean to heavy with out a footswitch on a tiny practice amp.

The amp has three methods of controlling the amount of gain. The orange channel can be in two modes, clean, or vintage. The red channel has just the modern mode. All three basic modes go through all the same gain stages. When clean mode is used the amp amplifies the guitar signal less, causing less distortion. The presence control is configured in a manner that is typical to the majority of the amplifiers that are out there. In vintage mode the signal path is the same as clean mode, but amplified more. Finally in Modern mode the signal path is the same as vintage mode, but the presence control is wired differently. Because of this there is a slight volume boost, but the presence control works differently than in other amps. The amp also gets a slightly harder edge. Those are the three modes under normal conditions.

Channel cloning alters the way the presence control works. When orange is set to modern, the presence control is removed from the signal path. Unfortunately it is removed completely. You get the small volume boost. The signal path is the same as the Red channel's normal setting, minus a presence control.

When the red channel is set to Vintage, the orange channels presence control is added. This makes the Red channels signal path identical to the Orange channels signal path, with the addition of the red channels presence control. So you have both presence control's enabled.

The technical explanation is in modern mode the negative feed back from the output transformer's secondaries is removed from the phase inverter of the power amp. By removing the NFB the power amp's total harmonic distortion is increased slightly. Also the attenuation caused from feeding the out of phase signal back into the phase inverter is reduced.

But basically the presence control is altered between the three modes.

msi said:
When the red channel is set to Vintage, the orange channels presence control is added. This makes the Red channels signal path identical to the Orange channels signal path, with the addition of the red channels presence control. So you have both presence control's enabled.

My absolute favorite 2 channel Rectifier settings were Red to Vintage wih clean (green) on channel 1. Having both presence controls active on channel 2 allowed for some fine tuning of the upper frequencies.

I used to like that best as well. Red to vintage with clean on the orange channel is excellent for playing poppy punk type stuff which is what I used to play back in the day. Sounds great with a Marshall 1960ax greenback cab.
Lately, I've been digging orange on variable high gain (simply sounds better for vintage and makes for a great smouldering lead) and red to modern(massive ugly crunch). The amp just works better the way it was designed to run.

Latest posts

Back