Questions about a dual rec

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Budda

Reaction score
Hey guys, nice forum you have here :)

some background info:
guitars: gibson LP studio stock, tokai PRS copy (getting SD JB/59 in a few weeks)
TS7ovChaos (TS7 modded to 808 specs + extras) for boosting
current amp: peavey JSX head w/ KT77's (JJ retube)
cab: peavey triple X 412 with WGS British Leads (classic lead 80 copy)

Now dont get me wrong, the JSX is a great amp. after many years of playing, i've finally figured out what kind of tones i want to get out of an amp: gothenburg-style metal (melodic death), american metal (think lamb of god, etc), skate punk (a wilhelm scream, belvedere, bigwig), lower gain style sounds (alt rock i guess), and low gain classic rock and decent cleans.

The main thing i want to know is, how are the different modes on 2nd and 3rd channel for different styles? I spent 5 minutes on the clean channel of a triple rec w/ an LP studio, but that didnt tell me much except that i like the pushed mode with the gain up lol. this week i am going to test out a dual rec.

long story short: what can you compare the voicing of vintage, raw and modern on ch 2 and 3 to? bands, styles, whatever. basically i am hoping to cover the field from death metal to punk to clean with this amp. my jsx is most of the way there, but not quite - and the "satch vibe" as i like to call it doesnt help any. I've had the JSX for a year, and spend some time tweaking. it's close to what i want, but not quite. I think that the DR will be more versatile, and be able to do what the JSX can do, but w/o the satch vibe.

thanks for any help you guys can give me! I look forward to properly trying out the amp later this week :D

You might check out a Mark IV when you're shopping around, it might be able to handle those styles of metal better than a DR because it has a much tighter distortion. :idea:

Just a note for you, the 3rd and 2nd channel on a 3 channel dual recto are the same... Except for the presence control. This is straight from the manual(Channel 3 can have ALOT more presence). Anyway just thought you should be aware of this if you didn't know for your testing.

If you can afford it, look at the Road King 2 or the Roadster. Much more versatile than the standard recto. I also suggest you check out a mark4.

I used to own a 2 channel dual rec and IMO, what you're looking for is a VHT. My Deliverance 60 would absolutely kill my Dual rec. I'm talking in nearly every way. I'm not saying the Dual rec isn't killer, but it's just not as good for technical metal as a VHT.

I'd also check out a Mark IV or a Mark III

madryan said:
I used to own a 2 channel dual rec and IMO, what you're looking for is a VHT. My Deliverance 60 would absolutely kill my Dual rec. I'm talking in nearly every way. I'm not saying the Dual rec isn't killer, but it's just not as good for technical metal as a VHT.

I'd also check out a Mark IV or a Mark III

if i get a VHT, it's going to read "pittbull UL" or nothin' lol. the deliverance is only one channel - i need at least a clean and a dirty.

i can't yet play technical metal, as i said im going for more melodic death metal and american metal etc.

I'll have to see if i can't try out a mark IV at some point, since everyone seems to be suggesting them over the DR lol

If you're looking for a punk/metal sound with a decent mid ground and a nice clean, check out the Mark III- that's the punk sound if ever there was one IMO, but it also has some great metal, cleans, and some awesome mid ground. The Mark IV would be next on the list (for those punk tones) then Roadster or 3 channel DR (metal, clean, mid ground, punk).

I tested out the dual rec today with a PRS singlecut SE - ****, that amp has tone! and versatility!

I do believe i've found my next amp :)

Congrats!

I personally was going to recommend the Recto over the Mark IV. Especially for your melodic metal and american metal requirements.

I love my IV combo, but have not been able to get a proper huge metal tone out of it, even when plugged into a 4x12.

Enjoy the new Recto!

Back