Palmer PDI-03 with Strategy 500

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobFox

Reaction score
Hey all, I have a TriAxis/Strategy 500 setup and would like to know if this can be used with the Palmer PDI-03 to record as a load box and DI (no cabs connected). I absolutely LOVE this setup and have played it for years I just want simplicity and quiet in recording instead of running mics everywhere. I think this power amp is 200wpc and I can knock it into Half Drive (is that considered 100 wpc)? This load box is rated at 100wpc into 8ohms. So I would run mono out into it on half drive I am figuring? Any help would be appreciated.

I have no experience with either amp, but going by the numbers, I wouldn't trust it if your goal is to have the strategy 500 at any volume that gets the power tubes working. The pdi 03 will accept 100 watts, or 200 watts if used in conjunction with a cabinet. The strategy can exceed 200 watts when cranked (the nature of tube amps). Also, there was a member here who had problems with a Mesa power amp and a Palmer unit. If you already have the mics and everything, I would make an IR (impulse response) of your setup, and record your triaxis straight to your computer, then apply the IR. Silent, no tube wear on the 500, and an IR will likely sound better as it is from an actual cab, not a cab simulator. I have recorded with IR's before, and find them invaluable for quiet/silent recording. Hope that helps!

PS if you want a dedicated IR box, look into the TORPEDO stuff.

Back