Odd Design Choices: Why is Mark IV Volume Pot so Sensitive?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SonVolt

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, what do you think the design philosophy behind the Mark IV's extremely odd volume taper was? You can't really turn it like a volume knob, you have to kinda nudge it with the side of your finger to make micro-adjustments else it goes from silent to too loud.

Was that intentional? If so.... WHY?

I haven't played a Mark IV enough to say, but the Mark III has the same "problem"... when you have the Volume set at like 7.5 or higher. If you have the Volume down around 5, there's a lot more range available on the MV before you hit war loud. As well, on the Mark III, if I've got the Volume up past 7, the Master stops doing much after 3.5. The amp just doesn't get any louder. Treble and Mid also influence this, more if you don't have the Volume up very high.

On the Mark III I think it's part of the series of compromises that makes it a so-so channel switcher but an extremely versatile one-channel amp ;)

I think it's because these amps were designed during a period when louder = gooder.

Back