Nigel Tufnel jamming with Les Paul (the MAN, not the guitar)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thinskin57

Reaction score
does anyone here remember that event? it was in the mid, to late nineties when Dennis Miller had his own (ill-fated) late night tv show on network television. anyway, Nigel comes on first for an interview which of course is hilarious. he talks about some of his new inventions he's been working on and whatnot. later on, Nigel moves over on the couch for Les Paul to come on for HIS interview w/Dennis. naturally, Miller tells his audience about all LP's contributions to the music industry as a musician and inventor. Miller then tells Les that Nigel is a bit of an inventor too. at this point Nigel, in full character, (wearing a kilt, btw) begins to tell Les about HIS new invention- the Amplifier Capo. he explains to Les how one night at a Tap gig, "fat man fell onto my speaker cabs" and he noticed that it "changed the pitch" of the chords/notes. he asked himself, "how can i harness this"? he goes on to "explain" to Les that, "the Amplifier Capo squeeeezes the speaker cones and changes the pitch" all w/a straight face. hilarious. classic. Les just nodded and smiled through the whole thing w/a look on his face like, "is this guy for real"? and then it all ended with the two of them having a jam. i THINK they jammed to Sweet Georgia Brown if i remember correctly. Nigel even jammed in character, playing his trademark, stupid, 16th note repetitive runs. again, Les just looked at him at that point like he was a kook. too funny. what's NOT funny is that i can't find this footage anywhere! i'm amazed that this isn't on youtube, given all the other old gems i've been able to find. i guess the fact that Miller got cancelled after a very short run is testament to the fact that i, along with all 5,000 of his other viewers were the only ones watching that night. too bad. classic moment in music/comedy history and hardly anyone saw it. am i the only one on this forum aware of this?

I am currently looking for this interview. I watched it on an old black and white tv, portable, just one little speaker, and it was some of the best music I have ever heard, I won't ever forget it. RIP Les Paul. If I ever find it I will come back and tell you.

ONETIMER said:
I am currently looking for this interview. I watched it on an old black and white tv, portable, just one little speaker, and it was some of the best music I have ever heard, I won't ever forget it. RIP Les Paul. If I ever find it I will come back and tell you.

i'll do the same if i ever run across it. thanks!

kiff said:
thinskin57 said:
i'm amazed that this isn't on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09lmHPXYNks

;)

thanks kiff! too funny. the jam wasn't quite what i remembered it to be, but still a classic moment. good stuff.

Latest posts

Back