New Stiletto Deuce Owner! FX problem question.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I have finally procured my Mesa Stiletto Deuce Stage II head. In my opinion, it is the best sounding amp i have ever played. I am absolutely blown away. I am running the head into a new 4x12 Marshall 1960AV with Celestion Vintage 30's.

I have played around with my pedal arrangement and FX loop. I have one issue. In my FX loop I am running (in order, send to return) Visual Sound Chrorus, MXR Phase 90, MXR EVH Flanger, and Boss DD-3 Digital Delay. The problem I am having is mainly with the phaser. The volume increases noticeably when the phaser is turned on. It is more noticeable in the higher gain channels. Also, the Flanger seems to lose a little volume. I have played with the FX Loop level knob in the back, but it doesn't seem to change the issue. All these pedals are relatively new (the flanger is brand new) and have no issues. Any ideas?

Have you tried taking the Phase and Flanger out of the fx loop? I would run those two pedals in front of the amp. I pretty much only run Reverb and Delay pedals in the fx loop and thats it.

I agree with Deuce2. I think phaser and flanger (and vibe among others) sound better up front. To me they're the same as putting a wah in the loop - just tooooo much. Try them up front. Play with their order in the chain to find what's best.

Problem solved! I put the flanger and phaser in front of the amp. Thanks for the help!

Here is the order of my set up now:

Guitar-->Boss TU-2 Tuner-->Boss NS-2 Noise Supressor-->Amp

The noise supressor has a send and return loop. Off of that, from send to return, is:

Dunlop Original Cry Baby Wah-->Boss MT-2 Metal Zone-->MXR Phase 90-->MXR EVH Flanger

Into the amp FX Loop, from send to return:

Visual Sound Liquid Chorus-->Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had a Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde, but took it out. I no longer need it with this amp. I thought of keeping it as a boost, but this amp needs no boost. The solo feature accomplishes the boost just fine. Plus, this amp has enough drive by itself without boosting the gain further. The Jekyll and Hyde pedal is on eBay if anyone is interested. Thanks again for the help everyone!

Glad it's working out for you 8) . Another thing to try, is just put your up-front pedals in order into the preamp, and move the NS2 to the amp loop. The way you have it, the NS2 will not control any preamp noise, and if your Deuce is like mine, it's pretty noisy on the gain channel. Just a thought.

I tried putting the NS-2 in the FX loop, but it didn't stop the noise coming from the guitar. Feedback from the strings is the main noise problem I have. I have a Gibson Les Paul Custom with 57 Classic Humbuckers and a 90's Fender American Strat with custom wound Seymour Duncan Hot Rails.

Back