New Mark IV vs. MINT custom built 2002 Nomad 100 combo....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gr8Guitarist1967

Reaction score
First off, let me say HIIIIII to all of you in the MB forum. :) I'm new to the forum here, but not new to using Boogies. I used to use Early '90s combo Mark IV's along with a 1X12" thiele forever and I loved them. I've had black, cream, and wood cabs and they all sounded great and held up well to the grind of playing up to 3 live 2 hour performances daily.

Unfortunately, in the late '90s I chose to quit using boogies due to issues with the venue I was playing. We were having issues with the oil based fog the venue was using. The fan in my boogies would suck in the fog and the oil would coat the internal wiring and cause breakdowns. I would then have to use my spare MKIV while my main one was being repaired. This happened 2 times in as many years. Even with partial endorsement, I still had to pay for a portion of the repairs (not to mention being without the amp while I shipped the chassis back to MB) and my employer wouldn't cover it so I said "hell with it" and found a cheaper Peavey Ranger 212 to play through.

I'll be honest to say that I really do like the Peavey Ranger as well. It's one of the only tube amps I found that sounded somewhat close to my MKIV. Especially in the clean channel. But after several years of using the peavey I must say..... I MISS MY MESA BOOGIE!!!! :lol:

Sorry about boring you with all this useless information but it leads to my issue. I'm wanting to get another Boogie. While I know what the MKIV's sound like, I really have grown used to having a combo 2X12 setup. I like the full, rich sound I get out of 2X12's over a single '12. I can lean it back on a stand unlike what I used to could do with my MKIV-thiele setup. And it's also handier to carry around.

I've tried the Lonestar 2X12's, the stiletto, and a new MKIV widebody. While they all sounded good, I LOVE having the 5 band graphic EQ of the MKIV. I don't know why MB doesn't include this option on more of their amps. Unfortunately, they don't make a 2X12 combo MKIV. :lol:

That's why I'm interested in the Nomad 100 2X12 combo. The 100 has the EQ. And I also like the idea of having 3 complete separate channels. It appears to be somewhat like a split of a MK-RK thing going on there. But I've never played through the nomad 100 series. I know where one is that's mint and a beautiful wood cab, but not close enough to me to actually try. Since they are no longer made, it's hard to locate one to A-B with. I'm wondering if anyone out there has ever A-B'd a Nomad 100 to a MKIV and could give me some insights to the differences.

I tend to play alot of country, contemporary, jazz, blues, and classic '70's-'80s rock. Styles from Brent Mason, Ray Flake, Brad Paisley To SRV and Angus Young. I play a 3 PU Tele AM deluxe (My main axe), a custom shop strat, and a Gibson Les Paul.

If anyone out there has any thoughts about this, I would appreciate any input you can give me. Meanwhile, Have a GREAT day jamming!!! :wink:

Latest posts

Back