Need help identifying speakers in 4x12 cabinet

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

209noodles

Reaction score
I just bought this 4 x 12 cab, not sure about the age but I assume it is pretty old because there are no stickers on the speakers at all. I own another cab that has 4 Black Shadow speakers that are easily identified. This cab is a 4x12 with a closed back that is split into two. Here are pictures of the back as well as close ups of the speakers. The bottom speakers are stamped as Electrovoice EVM but not sure of the model, age nor what the top speakers are. Any help is appreciated.

Back of cabinet:

Bottom Speaker:

Top Speaker:

As you suspect, those are the usual suspects:
Mesa MC-90 on top, EVM 12L on the bottom.
No labels because they're in an enclosed cab and you couldn't see 'em anyway so why spend the extra buck or two?

209noodles said:
Any idea about what year it might be from?
Can't tell a specific year, just from the 80's and 90's.
It looks like your handles are round, I'm not too sure if there is a year difference between those and the Mesa branded flat handles.

Hey, 209noodles, I see that your bottom was sealed. Was the top sealed, as well? If so, is the top piece covered with the original style tolex?

Only one of my cabinets has the original top backing.
It's a road ready with just a plain black panel top cover, same speakers. Heavy.
My other road ready, with not as heavy speakers, has permanent casters.
So, whenever I'm not with the band, I've got to lift the heavy cabinet by myself to stack them.

Another question... Is your Mesa/Boogie grill logo solid white? Or stencil? That is, if it's still on there.

I don't know if that might be a sign of age. Like, if they used one for a while then switched.
I'm, for some reason, thinking the earlier logos were solid white (80s?) and the stencil might be later (90s?). Just a guess, I don't really know.
The two road ready cabinets that I've got have solid white logos.
My 5 tolex cabs (3 slant, 2 bottom) all have stencil logos.

My 295 has a stencil logo, too.
I've never opened it up to see the date. I'm thinking it was made in the early '90s. (that would be something for me to do tomorrow)
The controls are on the front and the earlier models had them on the back.
Just happens my 50Cal+ and Studio preamp were made 2 months apart, in '90.

Am I rambling again? Yes. Sorry about that. This is the only place I get to talk 'Mesa/Boogie' shop.

BTW, if any of you forum vets know about possible dates for the solid white and stencil Mesa/Boogie logos, as well as the round or flat Mesa branded handles...... I'd like to know.

Based on the info (pasted for your convenience) below it looks like the C-90's were made on November 12, 1985
(LT12 is the first four letters/ numbers in the code on the frame / bell housing of one of the Celestions)
That is If I'm seeing the code stamp correctly.
So the cab was likely made in 1985 maybe 1986.

The EV codes I'm not completely sure about.
The first three digits "812" mean 8ohm 12 inch speaker.

But the Celestion code stamp gives away enough info to make a reasonable guess as to year the cab was made.

209noodles said:
Thanks guys!!

Any idea about what year it might be from?

Celestion DATE CODES

Since 1956, all Celestion chassis drivers have been stamped with a date code (2 numbers and 2 letters), denoting the exact date of manufacture.
The codes are added on the production line and are placed on the speaker's housing leg or the magnet edge.
The following lists provide an accurate record of the date codes used.

1956 - 1962

YEAR CODE MONTH CODE

1956 A January A

1957 B February B

1958 C March C

1959 D April D

1960 E May E

1961 F June F

1962 G July G

August H

September I

October J

November K

December L

The datecodes from 1956 to 1962 are written in the form: Day, Month, Year.

For example: 15DE = 15th April 1960

1963 - 1967

YEAR CODE MONTH CODE

1963 H January A

1964 J February B

1965 K March C

1966 L April D

1967 M May E

June F

July G

August H

September J

October K

November L

December M

Note the loss of the 'I' from the month codes. The date codes from 1963 to 1967 are written in the form: Day, Month, Year. For example: 19MK = 19th December 1965

1968 - 1991

YEAR CODE MONTH CODE

1968 A January A

1969 B February B

1970 C March C

1971 D April D

1972 E May E

1973 F June F

1974 G July G

1975 H August H

1976 J September J

1977 K October K

1978 L November L

1979 M December M

1980 N

1981 P

1982 Q

1983 R

1984 S

1985 T

1986 U

1987 V

1988 W

1989 X

1990 Y

1991 Z/A

The date codes from 1968 to 1991 are written in the form: Month, Year, Day.

For example: KH7 = 7th October 1975

1992 -

YEAR CODE MONTH CODE

1992 B January A

1992 V February B

1993 D March C

1995 E April D

1996 F May E

1997 G June F

1998 H July G

1999 J August H

2000 K September J

2001 L October K

2002 M November L

2003 N December M

2004 P

2005 Q

The date codes from 1992 are written in the form: Day, Month, Year.

For example: 29EJ = 29th May 1999

MichaelC4 said:
BTW, if any of you forum vets know about possible dates for the solid white and stencil Mesa/Boogie logos, as well as the round or flat Mesa branded handles...... I'd like to know.

The cabs with the flat logo handles were made earlier than the round handles.
The word on the street was the flat logo handles "cut" into a persons hand too much when lifting the cabs.
So Mesa redesigned the cabs and went with the more "hand friendly" round (no logo) handle.
Pretty sure this change took place in the early 80's

As for the solid or stenciled grille logo I'm not quite sure. I'll check my cabs and see if there is a difference based on year.
I'll use speaker codes and handle type to help figure this out.

I actually like the old flat handles with the logo for the way they look.

Even though it was just a guess, I might be right about the solid white logo from '80s and stencil logo on '90s.

On eBay, this guy says this is one from '87. It has solid white logo.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-MESA-BOOGIE-4X12-SLANT-GUITAR-CABINET-EVM12L-ELECTRO-VOICE-/261248722573?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd3a3268d
This one is from '89. Solid white, also.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1989-MESA-BOOGIE-4X12-STRAIGHT-GUITAR-CABINET-CELESTION-BLACK-SHADOW-SPEAKERS-/251306500053?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a8308dfd5

And, this one is from '95. With stencil logo.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mesa-Boogie-4x12-1995-4CB-Guitar-Amp-Speaker-Cabinet-w-Metal-Grill-V30s-EVs-/181220743964?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a31991b1c

Thanks for posting the Celestion Date Codes!

MichaelC4 said:
Oh, one more thing. What about the vertical grills? Are they really early versions?

When you say "vertical" do you mean the diamond pattern metal grille?
If that is what you are talking/ asking about then yes there was an earlier grille.
Its pattern was square.
The diamond pattern metal grille came later.

gts said:
When you say "vertical". Its pattern was square.
Yes, that's what I should have said.

Just like this 2x12. http://www.ebay.com/itm/MESA-BOOGIE-4-x-12-Straight-or-Slant-PADDED-CABINET-COVER-for-Vintage-80s-4x12-/310748322209?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=BbL%252FV4dEQEeJVaOnkp4kGQ6qp7k%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

You re-tolexed a 'square' grill in purple, a while back. That cabinet was beautiful.

MichaelC4 said:
gts said:
When you say "vertical". Its pattern was square.
Yes, that's what I should have said.

Just like this 2x12. http://www.ebay.com/itm/MESA-BOOGIE-4-x-12-Straight-or-Slant-PADDED-CABINET-COVER-for-Vintage-80s-4x12-/310748322209?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=BbL%252FV4dEQEeJVaOnkp4kGQ6qp7k%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

You re-tolexed a 'square' grill in purple, a while back. That cabinet was beautiful.
It still is!
Thanks!

Yup just like that 2x12
Here's the auction's pic for all to see:

$(KGrHqV,!k8FIf2CDoQFBSLl5Wjq3!~~60_57.JPG

MichaelC4 said:
Hey, 209noodles, I see that your bottom was sealed. Was the top sealed, as well? If so, is the top piece covered with the original style tolex?

Another question... Is your Mesa/Boogie grill logo solid white? Or stencil? That is, if it's still on there.

Yes, The top was sealed as well and it was covered with the original style tolex.

The logo looks like a stencil, not solid white.

And wow, thank you guys for all the good information!! I'm new to owning Mesa stuff so this forum has been awesome.

209noodles said:
MichaelC4 said:

Yes, The top was sealed as well and it was covered with the original style tolex.

The logo looks like a stencil, not solid white.

And wow, thank you guys for all the good information!! I'm new to owning Mesa stuff so this forum has been awesome.

MichaelC4 said:
Even though it was just a guess, I might be right about the solid white logo from '80s and stencil logo on '90s.

Considering the Celestions in his 4x12 date to Nov of '85 it would appear the stenciled logo's appeared as early as the mid in the 80's.

The type (stenciled or solid) and color (white , cream etc) of the logos could very well have been an option back then.

I've got a Mesa price list form '84 and will check it when I get a chance to see what it says (if anything) about logo options.

gts said:
Considering the Celestions in his 4x12 date to Nov of '85 it would appear the stenciled logo's appeared as early as the mid in the 80's.
Ouch! That's what I get for assuming.
We all know that if you assume. You could make an *** out of U and ME.

Useless personal point that I just have to get off my chest -
I really don't care very much about any other cabinet.
I feel that metal grill cabinets RULE THE F'ING WORLD.
Yeah, I'm truly a nut in my small little nutshell world.

More useless blabbering -
I'm thinking about picking up a V30 equipped recto cabinet, just to pull the V30s for two of my slants closed bottoms.
(I've only got one pair, right now, and a pair of MojoTone Eminence made clones)
GC usually has a few recto cabs for around $399.
I'll ask them to open the back to make sure that's what's in them.

For my three current stacks, I'm doing what I call the tone blender setup.
Top row is open back C90s.
Next row down, V30s. (right now, just need a couple of pairs V30s. English made from a recto cabinet. The pair I have are Chinese made.)
Top of the three bottoms will be closed back C90s.
Keeping the heavy weight at the very bottom are some EVM12Ls.

After picking up some V30s I'm going to have to do some speaker swapping between cabs.
Such as, one of my bottoms has all C90s and the other has all EVM12Ls. Others need changing, as well.

And to go tone blender overkill in the studio (my engineer is all about going nuts and want's me to do it)
One stack will be powered by a pair of 6L6s from my 50 Cal+.
Line out feeding my 295.
Another stack will be powered by a pair of EL34s from one channel of my 295, switched to Class A.
And the third stack will be the other channel running simul-class, with its own EL34 and 6L6 blend.
Twelve mics would have to be used.
This last studio venture, I did the three tube versions to just my slants.

I was thinking about snakeskin tolex for my worst shape slant and bottom cabs.
(One of my slants looked like it's been dragged by a truck and one bottom is kinda rough)
I guess it's overkill to have a snakeskin stack, two black tolex stacks and a road ready stack.
If I was able to work that out, I'd pick up a Mark V and snakeskin it along with them and put it up top.
If I had a snakeskin Mark V stack, I'd load it up with all C90s and use EL34s.
I'm going for the chunky palm muting late 80's, early '90s thrash god tone.
I already nail it with my 50 Cal+ and Studio preamp.......
(I'm actually boosting them with a cheap little $20 ZOOM 505II - using a touch of lead drive, a mild noise gate and a little EQ change to my signal before the amp)
A Mark V probably wouldn't need anything extra. I'd be able to dial that right up.

What the ....? Why am I typing all this out? Someone tell me to shut up.

MichaelC4 said:
After picking up some V30s I'm going to have to do some speaker swapping between cabs.
Such as, one of my bottoms has all C90s and the other has all EVM12Ls. Others need changing, as well.
Forgot to mention, I will be using that Celestion date code list for reference on my C90s, when I get around to the speakers. Out of the 12 C90s I have, actually a 13th in my 50 Cal+ combo, only 2 of them are in the bottom portion. All the rest are placed in open tops. Those should be easy reading.

Edit: One of my road ready cabinets has closed back top mounted C90s. Still, that might be 4 cabinets to get dates on.

Back