My Opinion: Three things did in the Electra Dyne

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Typically, I agree, but I find it gets lost in a full band mix because of its voicing, so I like to turn up the Presence for some clarity. Really is a great amp, though. As weird as it may seem, I'm secretly happy it's not selling!

It's just the Mesa voicing. I'm not bashing it because I like it. But with drums, bass, keys, vocals, acoustic, and a higher-voiced electric, it's easy to get lost in the mud.

I'm a drummer/keyboardist at my church, and every now and then they throw me a bone (let me play guitar, lol). In a dense mix, I have a hard time hearing myself on the service CD. It's possible, but my friend who's all pedals into a cheap Egnater (surprisingly good tone!!!) comes through much more clearly. We have a pretty high level of excellence, too, so I'm not going to blame the production team or anything. Just the nature of the beast.

Church mix. Well, that explains everything.

I think you'd be better off with using a v30 for this situation. It is a higher voiced speaker so you'll be starting off correctly this way.
Generally, if you want more high mids and cut, turn the mids up on the Electra Dyne and dial the bass down to a quarter. How do the 'volume police' deal with your avalanche of power? I bet if you could turn UP, there would be no Egnater in the mix! :twisted:

+1 The 3/4 back is one of the muddiest cabs I've ever played through. I run my Dyne thru a 2x12 recto cab, and it will cut through any mix. It also works well with a 4x10.

YellowJacket said:
Church mix. Well, that explains everything.

I think you'd be better off with using a v30 for this situation. It is a higher voiced speaker so you'll be starting off correctly this way.
Generally, if you want more high mids and cut, turn the mids up on the Electra Dyne and dial the bass down to a quarter. How do the 'volume police' deal with your avalanche of power? I bet if you could turn UP, there would be no Egnater in the mix! :twisted:

My church is basically my area's "mega church." We have no issues with volume, as all amps are placed backstage with sound paneling. :) We don't do ridiculous volumes or anything, but I had my master up to 9:00 or so, and I think we can agree that's giving it some good volume.

My truest talent is drumming, and I'm one of the hardest hitting drummers (okay, I am THE hardest hitting drummer) we have. We take a lot of care in keeping stage volume relatively low in order for our production team to have more control. Everything is shielded, isolated, blah dee blah.

Regarding the cab, one man's mud is another man's warmth. ;) I love the sound of that cab in a room, but when you close mic the speaker with a '57, you lose most of the character of the cab anyway. My guitar is also a pretty bright guitar. I play a Strat, all singles, maple neck. That guitar works well with Mesas because the brightness of the guitar and the inherent warmth of most Mesas combine to make a pretty balanced tone.

Like I said, I wasn't complaining about it. I like it. Thanks for the suggestions, but I don't see any problems. :)

YellowJacket said:
Have you tried the 27" 1 x 12? I think it is branded as a 'royal atlantic' cab now but it sounds killer!!

Just to add on to what YellowJacket had said, this cab can be quite versatile. The one I tried had a really big (not bassy, but big) sound. Not thin at ALL.

ED

enough said.... :oops:

What marketing genius came up with the idea for an amp whose name is most popularly known as Erectile Dysfunction?

Would you follow up the ED with the release of the meaner and bitchier sounding PMS?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Maybe they will listen to the people that want a MKIIC+ reissue. It is a strange marketing group. Keeping on coming up with new things that are not what people are asking for that do ok, or fail...

Lets see the Baby Mark and the MKIIC.

And the clean channel in the MKIIC is very good. Hopefully they do it, and nail a great clean channel as well. And do the volume taper mod too!

lespaulguy32 said:
YellowJacket said:
Have you tried the 27" 1 x 12? I think it is branded as a 'royal atlantic' cab now but it sounds killer!!

Just to add on to what YellowJacket had said, this cab can be quite versatile. The one I tried had a really big (not bassy, but big) sound. Not thin at ALL.

I've said this before: that cab is basically the current version of mine. I would expect them to sound nearly identical. :)

One man's junk is another man's treasure...

Personally, the minimal controls was what first attracted me to the ED. My pickups give me all the extra diversity in tone I need across all 3 modes and in a short amount of time, I found equilibrium for all three "channels." The simple look of the amp also appealed to me. I love it when people look at my amp, scratch their head, and ask, "How do you get that tone? What the hell is that?" To me, it's like secret sauce! As far as the name goes, I don't need any nuclear injected flame throwing name to get my attention. Who would have thought JMP or JCM800 would have become household names in their day? After all, you could be playing a Kustom or a Behringer (both of which I have used). To each their own.

I like the shared controls too-
Electra Dyne is not that memorable of a name, but I don't really care about that-

Number 2 on the list is what I think hit the hardest-
Putting the ED out at the same time as the Mark V was the big mistake. Even if they waited a few months for bloggers to start hating on the MV (which seems impossible to me, but they're out there!) they could've used the ED to say "See? We can do simple and get an even better clean sound than your marshall"

And if the ED 'does' get re-issued or updated, PLEASE do not put it out at the same time as the Mark IIC+RI!! We want you to sell lots of amps!

In the Clean mode the sound and headroom is amazing, and better than any Fender i have heard. I whish they would have placed the revrb button on the front panel instead of the rear.

Back