Mark vs Mode

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zebpedersen

Reaction score
Anyone else always changing amps/guitars/FX, always finding great tones but never quite happy with what you've got?

After years in the lab, there's one rig I keep coming back to - Mark I & Mark IV, run in parallel (Cry Baby out front, DD-3 in the loop of the IV). It just sounds so good, really is one of those "can't-stop-playing"-type situations.

Of course, lugging 15" and 12" combos (both EV loaded, too) about is a big deal.

I know the Mark V forum is in the 'Modern' section, but I wanted to get the vintage guys' take on the V. As you all know, it's got a Mark I 'mode' on channel 2 and a Mark IV 'mode' on channel 3, but what I want to know is how close those modes are to my (our) beloved classic amps.

Does the Mark I mode just sound like Santana? Does the Mark IV mode just sound like John Petrucci? How do they stack up to the real deal? I've had a falling out with the only place that stocks Boogie locally, so I'm trying to avoid a needless trip to Denmark street if it's no good.

It would be a heck of a lot easier for me to get a V and keep the old gear safe if I need to be on the move.

Cheers!

The Mark V is it's own amp. I don't personally think it has the same character as my Mark IV, which still has str 420's. The Mark V is without a doubt clearer sounding, whereas the IV sounds a bit more creamy to my ears. They both have their applications, but I find myself playing pretty much nothing but the V because I like the way it cuts and I can coax feedback out of it with a little more control. If I was you, i'd certainly obtain a V, but don't part with your other amps. They're awesome too!

It's clearer to my ears. My particular V may be brighter as i've got str 450's (el34) in it right now as opposed to 10 year old 420's in the IV. There are tons of variables in the way the amp is configured, and even after playing it for over a year i'm still learning all the time. The IV is a great amp and I wouldn't part with it any more than the V. It's got a cabinet filling warmth that's very smooth, whearas the V's sound just seems a bit more out front and cuts better. Bear in mind my opinions are from a mostly bedroom player, I play with a drummer or another guitar player from time to time but it's rarely 90watt full power stuff.

Best advice I can give is to go try one out, but memorize the manual a couple times before you do. Also bring your own guitar, because the V is more telling of effects and guitars than any other amp i've tried.

Back