Mark V Master Volume & Solo Levels

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulg2uk

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just wanted to ask for those that have Mark 90 watt version where do you set your levels at a gig?

I had a bit of an issue over the weekend when I was gigging with my band. I struggled to hear it out of my 1x12 cab when the band was playing. My cab is on casters and I have my rack case on top and my mark v on top of that. I'm using a cab clone to the PA as well so any level adjustments are gonna affect the main mix thru the pa if I start charging my settings.

I think I know what the problem was I had the master level set at about 9 o clock and the channels were set around 12 o clock. I am right to say I need to set the master level at about 11-12 o'clock? and then adjust the channels to the required level?

Another thing I couldn't work out is they say in the manual when using the solo control it has to be set louder then the master volume. I had the solo level set lower than this and it was still really loud. So much that my other band mates were really pissed when I switched it on during a song to play a solo. It came thru pretty loud thru the monitors except mine of course typical lol.

Thank guys
Paul

My Output Volume usually fluctuate between 8:30 and 12:30. Channel 1 gain is set to 1:30, master volume is maxed, Channel 2 gain is about 2:00 and master volume at about 3:00.

I don't know if this is the best way to run the MkV, but it sounds great to me and is plenty loud through a 2x12. If you're using a 1x12 I'd suggest trying these settings out. Set your Ch1 and Ch2 levels so they match, and then while your drummer plays, turn up the amp until you're happy.

That sounds like it's gonna be really low volume, like around what I have mine at for around the house playing.

Maybe the cab clone is messing up your perceived volume? I've never used one so I can't comment on it. Why are you using that in conjunction with an actual speaker cabinet? Is there a mic on the cabinet?

But having the global output at 9:00 is pretty low. You just need to use the channel masters to balance the channel volumes and use the global output to control the overall volume of everything. It doesn't really matter where the channel masters are as long as they're balanced.

I wouldn't run them over noon because it will blast the fx loop since they are technically a return level for it. On that note, where is your FX send set? It should be at noon unless you have some rack gear that needs it to be different. It will affect the behavior of the global output, too.

Also, your cab is aimed at your knees, which will make it harder to hear, especially if the cab clone monitor volume is dictating things and your actual stage volume is super low. Assuming the soundman is dictating the level of your cabclone, you may need to put the cabinet on a stand next to you as a monitor.

I added wings on my combo like a fender has and lean it back also with cabclone. Typically I run my gains about 2 o'clock, masters around 9 o'clock and output at 10-11 o'clock then push the front with a KOKO Boost. Also run a FX8 with compression, little more kick.

I run the channel masters low 9 or so then I up the main output to meet stage volume requirements. To me it lets the power tubes breath. IMO It feels more dynamic and the channels are easier to EQ. As in the Bass, Mid, Treble and Presence have more effect over the tone. As for using the Solo it can be basically turned all the way down and when engaged you can hear the amp open up. So turning it up at all changes the tone and volume and will bring you forward. Adding more will increase the volume but it doesn't have to be up much to put you out front. If there is another guitarist in your band, guitarist etiquette is the rhythm guitar backs off, palm mutes or turns down a little during leads. If you are the only guitarist try not having your guitar volume not all the way up while you play rhythm then open it up durring leads. It's a tube amp, use the amp saturation to punch you up front.

With my combo amps I had the same issue with being unable to hear myself. I have a couple Ultimate Support AMP-150 Amp Stands. They work very well and are adjustable for angle and height of the back pole rest. The back pole rest also can hold a goose neck mic extension if you ever want to mic your amp instead of using the cab clone. The stand also folds up and goes into a gig bag easily.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AMP150

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Gooseneck13C

Grundletaint said:
That sounds like it's gonna be really low volume, like around what I have mine at for around the house playing.

Maybe the cab clone is messing up your perceived volume? I've never used one so I can't comment on it. Why are you using that in conjunction with an actual speaker cabinet? Is there a mic on the cabinet?

But having the global output at 9:00 is pretty low. You just need to use the channel masters to balance the channel volumes and use the global output to control the overall volume of everything. It doesn't really matter where the channel masters are as long as they're balanced.

I wouldn't run them over noon because it will blast the fx loop since they are technically a return level for it. On that note, where is your FX send set? It should be at noon unless you have some rack gear that needs it to be different. It will affect the behavior of the global output, too.

Also, your cab is aimed at your knees, which will make it harder to hear, especially if the cab clone monitor volume is dictating things and your actual stage volume is super low. Assuming the soundman is dictating the level of your cabclone, you may need to put the cabinet on a stand next to you as a monitor.

Thanks for the responses guys, I was using a cab clone because I ended up using the built in one on the V35 i have. I bought the mark v 90 watt head a few weeks ago as i wanted the 3rd channel for various songs. Plus I love the Mark 1 sound on channel 2. I thought the cab clone would be a great addition as I've used it before. I do have it set to line level, maybe i should just change the setting so it acts like a mic instead of line input. My other one on the MKV35 is set to line input and that works great.

I also decided on the cab clone because I kept bumping the mic when my cab was miced up when playing. There's not always enough room on stage as you guys know. We had a rehearsal last night and I set the master at 11-12 o clock and altered the channels as required and I could hear everything. So it must of been the fx loop being blasted as mention in a previous post. That would explain why the solo level was so loud and only set low because of the fx loop.

I did actually have my V35 combo on top of my rack case but I had to get my rack stuff off the floor because someone spilled a drink on the floor a few gigs ago and it nearly hit my axe fx. I'll have to try it next gig and see what happens.

What sort of venues are you playing that you need your amp into a PA without stage monitors?
If it's just a rehearsal thing, I wouldn't do it. Ditch going into the PA. Too many bands put everything through the PA when there is no need at all. And the one lot of people in a room that don't hear the PA properly is the band.
Your volumes are low, I'd be running the amp in 10watt mode and upping the volumes. You're not getting the proper sound of the amp at such low volumes.
The combo is really directional. Never known a combo like it for beaming sound directly in line with where the speaker is pointed. To the point that when setting my amp up, I mix between the sound a minimum of 8ft away and right on top of the speaker. Both sound completely different.

I like the tone better out of the XLR out put on the cab clone.

paulg2uk said:
Too many bands put everything through the PA when there is no need at all. And the one lot of people in a room that don't hear the PA properly is the band.

As Nicklotsaguitars said running everything through the PA is not always ( for me never ) a good idea. The band I have been working with, for about 8 years, well, we never run anything but vocal and if necessary drums, usually just the Kick through the PA. Maybe three times in the 8 years have we been told we needed to turn down. We always try to match what we think the room needs. I set my volume just so I can hear it comfortably. I mainly work on my tone and that is always very easy with little to no effort or adjustment. I like a thick mid range tone, just enough highs to make it crisp and clear with very little bass, there is a bass player for that. So setting the amp levels on channels low and using the main to push the volume works, for me, very well. I most every gig get asked to turn up. That makes me happy, for two reasons, one they cannot hear me and I can and two they want to hear what I am doing.

kraftwerkd said:

IMO... what I have found: You can overdrive the main output if channel levels are too high. Also the power tubes never get a chance to open up and work if you are using the main output to curb the volume level because the channels are set too high. Also trying to adjust the main output level when it is having a lot of channel signal sent to it gets hard because it becomes very touchy.

It all depends on what you want. Getting the channel masters up adds dirt and to me can sometimes bring CH 1 and 2 alive for rock tones. But I don't use the loop so have no concerns with loop levels. I think the amp really comes alive when the Output Master gets up around 11:30 to 1:30. But I also use an attenuator. The louder you get the output master the less the solo feature will perceptively work. Plus in my experience the solo starts where the master is and adds on so the solo does not need to be set higher, just until you perceive the bump you need. Also getting the amp to 45 watts across the board will enable higher volume setting on the amp. But of course that 90 watt girth for CH 3 is pretty sweet. Very flexible amp and don't discount an attenuator to really have it set any way you want, for any scenario.

I generally run channel volumes between 9 and 12 o'clock and aim to run master volume around 12 o'clock to get the power tubes breathing.We generally play with vocals and kick drum only through PA and I run channel 1 in tweed with full gain for a decent crunch in 45w (+/- BB preamp), channel 3 extreme in 45w for heavier rock and then have channel 2 Mark 1 at 90w for a fat solo channel with a volume increase. I use solo boost at times on channels 1 and 3 and set it usually around 2 o'clock but depends how it cuts through as we have another guitar player and solo notes can easily get lost in the mix without a healthy volume boost!

Latest posts

Back