Mark IV for metal? First take on my new Mark IV rackmount!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LEVEL4

Reaction score
Does the Mark IV do metal? You bet your *** it does! (no pedals necessary.)

Well, guys, I finally did it! I went to the Mesa/Boogie Hollywood store today and picked up my new Mark IV rackmount head! It was a bare head, originally housed in a Plexiglas display case (used as a marketing display), that they just decided to convert into a rackmount and ready it for sale. It's the LAST short-chassis Mark IV that I could find in the ENTIRE state of California (yes, I called EVERY dealer).

Here are my initial impressions [note: I don't care about cleans or blues-ey crunch, and my entire focus is on the amps' lead channels—my tonal preferences are metal and all its sub-genres]:

The high-gain lead channel was the first thing I tested. I was happily surprised by the huge amount of gain and presence available on the Mark IV. I've been demoing Mark IVs in stores for the past few weeks, and lemme tell you, it's a whole different story once you get the amp home, for some reason. I just got home and plugged it in, and I was grinning from ear-to-ear.

I bought this amp with a lot of trepidation, because it kept sounding a bit boxey and flat whenever I demoed one, especially when compared to the other Rectos in the store. Obviously, they're different amps, but I found them so different, that I ended up deciding to just buy both (and, glad I did). Also, I was concerned about overlap with my DC-3. Well, the Mark pwns the DC-3 in so many areas, that I'm not sure what to do with the DC-3 anymore (still gotta let this Mark IV honeymoon period recede a bit). Overall, I'm extremely pleased (that's actually a HUGE understatement) with the Mark IV, and also feel that it contrasts extremely well with my Recto Solo 50.

• The Mark IV pwns the DC-3 in the gain department. It has perhaps twice the gain on-tap than my DC-3 head.
• The Mark IV has perhaps, again, twice the presence and treble response over the DC-3.
• The Mark IV sounds great at low volumes, whereas my DC-3 needs to be cranked more.
• The Mark IV sounds much punchier and brighter through a 4x12 (even filled with just the cheap Celestions), compared with the Mark IV combo version, with its single, C-90 speaker.
• The Mark IV, when played through a 4x12, has a surprising amount of bottom, almost as much as my Recto, and, contrary to my initial impressions, produces very nice palm-mutes.
• Although the Mark can sound very bright to your ears, it still records very dark, even when using "bright" condensor mics.
• The Single-Recto Solo 50 still does that "scooped-Recto" sound like nothing else, and cannot be faithfully replicated with a Mark IV, IMO, especially when recorded.
• But, yes, the Mark IV is TOTALLY capable of "teh br00talz," WITHOUT using any pedals.

Recording test bed:

• DiMarzio Super Distortion humbucker in a 1990 HM Strat.
• Celestions (cheap, no-model number kind).
• Audio-Technica AT-3035 large-diaphragm condensor mic.
• Shure SM57 dynamic mic.
• PreSonus BlueTube dual-path mic preamps.

My Recto does that scooped, "Framus Cobra" sound quite well (at one-third the price!). The Mark IV does almost everything else. I still can't quite get that dark, gritty, Soldano SLO lead sound from the Mark. I believe the Mark is a bit too smooth and musical sounding for that, I think. I now plan on having my 6505 head modded by FJAmods. I may be able to replicate that sound after the mods with the 6505 (the only other amp I still crave is a Soldano SLO).

EDIT: Holy ****! I was so excited to play my new Mark IV, that I totally forgot to try my LP Studio with it! Playing my Strat, vs. playing my LP Studio on my DC-3 is the difference between "just okay" and "teh br00talz!" Can't wait to hear the difference on the Mark IV!

If all you want is the OD channel on a SLO you'll save a ton of money if you just get an Avenger. It's just the overdrive channel and that's it. It's $1900 less expensive at about $1800 or so. Glad you love your Mark IV. I sure do like mine and can't wait to get my new tubes on Wednesday or so.

devilrob1979 said:
If all you want is the OD channel on a SLO you'll save a ton of money if you just get an Avenger. It's just the overdrive channel and that's it. It's $1900 less expensive at about $1800 or so. Glad you love your Mark IV. I sure do like mine and can't wait to get my new tubes on Wednesday or so.
Thanks! Yup, I LOVE my new Mark IV, ESPECIALLY with the Les Paul. Both the Recto and the Mark IV delivered the goods as promised. VERY happy with both amps. Not so sure about my DC-3 now, though.

About the Soldano, I was maybe getting a used Hot Rod 50+, but the SLO sounds like a SLO because of its pricey DeYoung output transformer, which neither the Avenger or the HRs have. May settle for an HR, though.

Also, if only every metal guy knew they could get a used Single-Recto for about the same price as a new 6505 head, Peavey wouldn't be selling any more 6505s. But I'm actually very excited to get my 6505 modded by FJAmods. IMO, 5150s/6505s sound a bit like a poor man's Soldano, but you need to get rid of the fizzyness with an upgraded output transformer. Jerry's modded-5150 clips sound f*cking AMAZING.

devilrob1979 said:

Yea but the Drake transformers make a little difference. :p

He lives 20 miles from me. Maybe I should email and see if he'll sell me a transformer. I bet it'll cost less than $1900. :D Considering the 5150/6505 and Recs were all based on the SLO you should get fairly close with your mods. Good luck.

MesieBooga said:
+1 on the FJA mods. I played a 5150 that is great w/ those Mercurys!
Yeah, I can't wait. My 6505 head, as fizzy as it is, can get this deep, growly, gritty lead tone, somewhat similar to a SLO's. It's a super-nice, very dark lead tone that's very "gutteral," for lack of a better word. Can't seem to get that same tone on either the Recto or the Mark IV.

I actually called Mesa and asked if it's possible to upgrade the output transformer on my DC-3 to a Mercury Magnetics or DeYoung transformer, and they said they wouldn't recommend it or it wouldn't work or something. Don't really care about my DC-3 anymore (unless there's like a IIC+ kinda mod possible for it). But, I would DEFINITELY like to upgrade the transformer on my Recto someday. Those Voodoo Recto clips sound amazing.

FYI, You're wrong about the Avengers, the early ones have DeYoung transformers and one's for sale right now on Rig Talk and The Gear Page.

scottcrud said:
FYI, You're wrong about the Avengers, the early ones have DeYoung transformers and one's for sale right now on Rig Talk and The Gear Page.
Didn't know that. Where is that page? How much is it?

LEVEL4 said:
• The Mark IV pwns the DC-3 in the gain department. It has perhaps twice the gain on-tap than my DC-3 head.

Though I only have experience with a DC-5 head, but I don't think their preamps differ, my guess would be that you should get you preamp tubes replaced. I recommend Chinese 12AX7s, they are great tubes.
There's no way the Mark IV has twice the amount of gain. I'm a metalhead (and I'm not talking Iron Maiden here :lol:) and I never turn up the gain past 8.5 on my DC-5.

I've had both the Mark IV & a DC-3 at the same time. I actually chose the DC because I don't play metal anymore, but there should be about the same amount of gain in both amps.

You need new tubes for the DC.

Latest posts

Back