Mark III transformers

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpdennis

Reaction score
I was looking for information on my Mark III simul-class output transformer and power transformer since I have time to kill this evening - being unemployed kinda ducks. I found a link here ...

http://forum.grailtone.com/posting.php?mode=quote&f=3&p=101074

... with the following information;

jvk said:
All hail simulclass!

I've taken some pics of the Mesa simulclass OTs to look at their sizes and footprints. I've placed them in order of chunkiness and size :D

Code:
                 weight     amps used in
                 ---------  -----------------------------
1. 562003        2.80kg     MarkIV-A   MarkIII  
2. 562004R-1     2.45kg     MarkIV-B   
3. T100-152019   2.40kg     MarkIIB    MarkIIC/C+   MarkIII
The 562003 is the undisputed king, I bet it's pretty much exactly the same size and weight of the IIC+ output transformer. It can handle more power and has more clean headroom. I definetly hear the difference between the 562004 and 562003 at loud volumes. The highs are smoother and more smooth+blurry and the lows are more asskicking. Especially combined with a X101 export tranny 8) The X101 is as large as some 200W power trannys in other makes of amp.

Meet the family

This started over the fact I have the 561100 power tranny and the 562003 output tranny. According to the thread the 562003 would have come out in the early 1990s even though my PCB is dated 1984 and the serial number puts it within 700 of the first Mark III (circa 1985). I am wondering now if my tranny was replaced prior to my purchasing it or if the thing was, in fact, in production during 1985. If it was a replacement would this be a real good reason that Mike B did so much to get my Mark III into the great playing shape it is now. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Dennis

Dennis:

99.9%..nah,make it 100%.. your tranny is original. The 562003 OT's were the same Simul-class OT's that were used in the IIC+, but just a different part number.

Confirmed by Boogiebabies ('bout 3/4 way down):
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10308

Mike B. just gave your amp his normal Boogie TLC. 8)

Neptical said:
Dennis:

99.9%..nah,make it 100%.. your tranny is original. The 562003 OT's were the same Simul-class OT's that were used in the IIC+, but just a different part number.

Neptical,

Thanks. I had found some pictures in another post on this board which shows the T100-152019 tranny in someones Mark III and he was saying it is a simul-class with a + by the power cord. You know, I am beginning to think I need to make some substantial bucks and then buy up all the Mesa gear available from way back when to now just so I can have the straight facts in living color! :lol:

I guess this goes back to my "I need to start a Mesa Anonymous group" ... :shock: :oops: :lol:

Naahhhhhhh!!

Dennis

PS: If that is Mike's normal TLC I would love to see his "Over the top" amp love!!! :mrgreen:

jpdennis said:
Neptical said:
Dennis:

Neptical,

Thanks. I had found some pictures in another post on this board which shows the T100-152019 tranny in someones Mark III and he was saying it is a simul-class with a + by the power cord. You know, I am beginning to think I need to make some substantial bucks and then buy up all the Mesa gear available from way back when to now just so I can have the straight facts in living color! :lol:

I guess this goes back to my "I need to start a Mesa Anonymous group" ... :shock: :oops: :lol:

Naahhhhhhh!!

Dennis

PS: If that is Mike's normal TLC I would love to see his "Over the top" amp love!!! :mrgreen:

:lol: :lol:

Yeah, the early Mark III's appear to be all over the place as far as parts. I think I've seen maybe 2 total of the early Mark III's with the "+" above the power cord, one closer to looking like an "x". Boogie has always seem to have a basic concept of what they're going for---and then seem to expand (and go haywire) on their original ideas, of course all in a good way.

There was more than one version if MK III PCB's, the later ones lost the 1984 copyright.
Check the EIA code and production info on the bells. It will date your transformers to a year and month of production.

Boogiebabies said:
There was more than one version if MK III PCB's, the later ones lost the 1984 copyright.
Check the EIA code and production info on the bells. It will date your transformers to a year and month of production.

The Power Tranny has "Mesa - 561100 - EIA606-526"
The OT has "562003 - Mesa Eng - Simul-Class - EIA606-516"

Not sure how to read this, so ... :?:

Dennis

jpdennis said:
Boogiebabies said:

The Power Tranny has "Mesa - 561100 - EIA606-526"
The OT has "562003 - Mesa Eng - Simul-Class - EIA606-516"

Not sure how to read this, so ... :?:

Dennis

The 526 is 1985 week 26 and the 516 is 1985 week 16. They represent the year and week of production.

Back