Lonestar Special vs. Two-Rock Classic 3 (my confession)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hippdogs

Reaction score
I've been using my Mesa Lonestar Special Head as my pro rig for the past 3 years. Mostly country, rock, blues. I loved it so much that I bought a back-up head and combo, both. The LSS head proved so solid and problem free that I've sold both back-ups this last year. I pair it with a couple of avatar 1x12 cabinets with either a vintage 30 (Hellatone 60 open back) or Celestion g12h30 closed back, occasionally a Suhr badger cab with a Celestion Gold (for a bit more bluesy tone). I am not ashamed that in spite of the absolute superb tone and performance of my LSS, I continue to fantasize that there might be something better out in the musical universe. Recently I purchased a Two-Rock Classic type 3 head for what would have to be considered great money.....over 1/2 off original price, and there are no discounts on these monsters. Let me say this straight out....the Two-Rock is really everything you hear. POwerful, killer overdrive and respectable cleans. Tons of switching to let you customize your tone, and if you need to really pour it on, this baby rocks. The LSS will go about 2/3rds of the way in the gain department, BUT, I'm sorry, the two-rock cleans don't compete with my LSS. They just don't. The Mesa LSS may really be in a class by itself when it comes to chimey cleans. Say what you want but I've owned Riveras, Fenders, Reinhardt, Two-Rock, Suhr Badgers, Dr. Z, Carr, Egnater mod 50, and a variety of Mesa's, and each has it's take on clean but mostly they sound sterile to my ears, where as the LSS has a certain silkiness and roundness to the clean that really appeals. I mean no disrespect to those other amps, some of which I have "loved" but in the end the LSS was too perfect for me. I tried to break-up with my LSS, I admit it. I'd bring another amp home, and ignore my LSS, and she'd wait patiently until I realized that all the rest were just "show and no go". My ebay seller fees look like divorce settlements. I'll keep the Two-Rock for a while and enjoy the skills that it does have (whew), but it's my Mesa LSS that will be at the gig this weekend, next monday, the thursday after that, etc. Oh, ebay, why do you hurt me so?

How are the G12H-30s? I've been using G12M-25s and really like the results... much better than the stock C90 that came with the combo. With the G12M it sounds like rock and roll, however I'd be interested in hearing about the G12H as well.

I have an avatar extension cab with a g12h30 in it which sounds really nice with my lonestar classic. Hard to say if I prefer this speaker to the black shadow..they are different sounding but I feel like the g12h30 is a bit more rock oriented...it is tricky to discern the differences though. I have also been switching it back and forth from open to closed back and I think the g12h30 sounds better in a closed cab.

The Celestion G12H30 in a closed back Avatar contemporary cab is excellent. Not as thick in the middle bottom range as my Hellatone 60 in an open back, which I prefer. Both cabs are 1x12 and I was stacking them for a while using a mis-matched pair for a blended sonic signal that I think works great. Open cab on top and closed back on bottom. But when a club manager asked for less from the stage I started only bringing the Hellatone 60 1x12 (vintage 30, 60 watt version pre-broken in by avatar) in an open back contemporary design. It is my favorite cabinet. And I've tried a lots of cabs.

Not really apples to apples I think, I mean, TR is 6L6 based, and the L$$ is EL84 based. Been playing a long time, and never heard better, more chimey cleans than an old AC-30, EL84 based also.

Recently I've been using my LSS with a custom made cabinet with 4x10" vox bulldog speakers. The cabinet is super light weight and was built for someone else by Carr Amplifier's original cabinet maker. It's easy to haul and gives me a lot more concentrated spank for those country lick with my Cp Thornton Fusion. woof!!

Latest posts

Back