Just received a Boss VF-1 effects processor for my Mark V...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deaj

Reaction score
...and I'm very happy with the way it's working out! I have an older Boss SE-70 processor that I use 100% wet in the parallel effects loop of my Fuchs ODS-50 combo and it sounds excellent for delay, chorus, and reverb. When I received my Mesa Mark V combo last Monday I moved the SE-70 over to the Mesa to test the effects loop and I found that the amp sounds really great with the loop active and the processor in-line even when bypassed (much like having a length of cable between send & return).

Once I found positive results using the loop I set about finding a processor to use with the Mesa. After looking at a variety of possibilities the SE-70 or its successor, the VF-1, seemed to be closest to what I want from a processor. A little reading on-line set me leaning towards the VF-1. I did a little shopping on Ebay and scored a Boss VF-1 for $115. It arrived today in great shape and perfect working order. There are 1U half-width rack processors (rack ears are on a separate tray part available from Roland) so, with feet added to the bottom, they make great amp top units. The handle on the Mesa is taller than the clearance the feet allow for so I picked up some 7/8" dowel end rubber feet that fit perfectly over the installed rubber feet installed on the processor - problem solved.

How does it sound? Very good! The chorus is as warm as the SE-70 - these units will cop the CE-1 Chorus Ensemble sound. The delay & echo effects will cover everything from a crisp digital delay to a tape style echo with modulation. The reverbs in the SE-70 are ok. Not bad sounding at all but not exciting either. This is ok with me as I rarely use digital reverb with the Fuchs and only a subtle reverb effect when I do. The reverbs in the VF-1 sound much improved over the SE-70 and work really well in the MkV's loop. Other effects in the VF-1 like flanging, phasing, tremolo, etc. all sound great! The VF-1 does sound better (more transparent when in-line and no effects active - internally bypassed) in a series loop than the SE-70 does so, in this way, it's also a better solution for the Mark V as well.

I plan to use a up/down patch footswitch with the VF-1, the same way I switch the SE-70 with the Fuchs rig. I'm only using the amps for jam sessions with friends currently. I won't be involved in any gigging project until after I have a long term effective treatment for the arthritis. This means I have no need for a integrated switching rig at this time. Effects switching only takes place between songs if at all at jams and there's no need for real-time switching in a home studio. Should I need it in the future there are MIDI based switching solutions that will handle the amp and effects switching as single switch presets.

Spec sheets show the SE-70 to be clearly outdated and the VF-1 as well to a lesser degree. What the specs don't show, however, is how warm these units sound. The SE-70 is an integral part of what I do with that amp and has been for several years now. I can't see any reason to consider replacing it. The VF-1 appears to be just as ideal a solution for my Mark V rig as the Fuchs/SE-70 setup.

I have pretty well eliminated all pedals from my rigs except for a Sonic Research Turbo Tuner. I have a couple of pedals that I'll keep in my gear bag (a couple of OD pedals, an OS compressor, and an A/B switch with defeatable buffer). These would come in handy should I end up using someone else's amp or want to add one of them to my rig for some specific use. I don't foresee them seeing much use any more though.

I like the simplified setup for both rigs - Amp, processor, tuner, and two foot switches. With a small shoulder carried gear bag I can carry either rig in one trip and set up in 2-3 minutes, get great tones all night, break down in 2-3 minutes and carry the whole rig out in one trip. Nice!

Here's a quick pic of both rigs:

amps-processors.jpg

The tremolo effect in the VF-1 sounds very good! the only downside is that it doesn't seem to have a square wave option (this is an option in the SE-70 - there is a waveform parameter with variable adjustment value, it just doesn't go all the way to square wave) so it won't do the chopper-like stutter (think: Pink Floyd / Money). Not an issue for me as it's not a sound I really need to have on tap and the SE-70 has it if I need it for recording. Other than that the primary effects I'll use this for are indeed improved from the SE-70, especially the reverbs. As stated before the chorus effects from both units are very warm, really great watery quality to them.

For those looking for an amp top effects unit for use in an effects loop the Boss VF-1's are a steal, often bringing little more than $125, and sound fantastic! They also work as a front end effects unit with a Hi-Z input on the front panel though I haven't really tried this out. They can be controlled via MIDI and there is an expression pedal input for controlling certain parameters. There's also a dual non-latching switch jack for patch up/down switching.

Back