* Improve your guitar cabinet " the two mods for DIY &q

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatboy135

Reaction score
Hey dear boogie fellowships looking for a better tone on my marshall cabinet I build a couple of mods to get a better tone on it.

Round 1: The isolate
Ok the first mod is a classical low end frecuencies cut off.
After a few years playing my rack and so other years talking with a lot of people I encountered an Aquiles knee on every guitar setup. The very low end frecuencies.
That so low frecuencies have a negative effect over our total sound, they diffuse our tonal into several adjetives like muddy, chubby, flubby and so many others, the very low frecuencies are a trouble to solve.
That frecuencies are the low ended below 40 Hz, that frecuencies contents so poor information about our instrument and diffuminate our tone. They also make the speakers to work on a non linearity zone that produces a low frecuency distortion.
Well on that mod we will not cut that frecuencies of our cabinet, so we will try to isolate them to not to travel all along the room.
Ok here we go:
Everybody knows that low frecuencies travels along the structures very happy, the wavelenght of that frecuencies are so long doing that the disipation materials couldn´t minimize them.
That low frecuencies usually becomes as great energy, they have plenty of power doing that all elements that passes along became into vibrations. That vibrations are minimal, but if our element has a resonant frecuency near to our cabinet vibration we will have a perfect second cabinet. Could you imagine it??? your desk could radiate sound very efficient. So if a desk is not prepared to radiate low frecuencies could you imagine the great distortion that it will introduce in our overall sound.
There are another issues to try to isolate that low frecuencies, that is our enviromental. We general live in neightbourhood homes, so if we want to play the guitar at 1 a.m we must to get the volume totally off :( what a pity, I´m so happy with my 20/20 pushing all the watts. Well as we know, the low frecuencies travels by ceilings, floors, structures and all you can think. The real headache for your neightbours are not the high frecuency, the real headaches becomes from the low end frecuency.
Did you remember when you pass near a concert all, did you hear the high or the low frecuencies???? If you marked low frecuencies you are agree with me, if you marked the high frecuencies please go to your doctor to a general check :). Yes man that fucking low frecuencies are one of our enemies, so if we want to isolate our sound in our enviromental we must to isolate the low frecuencies.
Ok another issue. What about the concerts??? if you are gigging how many times the sound tech gets you a wonderfull high pass filter to avoid that frecuencies, the trouble is that mixing desk filters begins on 90 Hz so you are loosing the 40-90 Hz that have all the boogie boogie low punch. Even the sound tech must to put a filter on each channel because the low end of the cabinets are walking through the floor, to the microphones stands and getting into the microphone becoming into a nasty PA system and being amplified to get a bit more confused sound on general gig.
The solution:
Ok remember my university courses I recover my "noise and vibrations" books to try to isolate that trouble, and I found it :)
The idea is to get the same system like factorys, when workers must to work with so much noise, the solution to that issue is to isolate the vibrations of the machines that causes noises and vibrations with little springs that muffle the low frecuencies vibrations. That springs must be between the floor and the cabinet.
So go on, I get into vibrachoc web ( the hutchinson filial, hutchinson is a very know france trademark that manufactured springs and wheels for cars, they have a filial company, vibrachoc that researchs on industry noise isolate ) and watch the solutions that offers to me, so the I select a product, and I donwloaded the datasheet of it, one hour after, a couple of equations solve and a tea drink I just design the isolate method and the products that I need.
Well I purchase them and installed in one hour. They costs to me 30 dollars the 4 springs and a black&decker hour, after finishing I tested it.
The results: Amazing, real amazing I rubbed off all the low end transmision frecuencies. I achieve a better tone because I get the real low frecuencies of my cabinet and not the desk radiations :). Now my low frecuencies are so pure, smooth, and warm as never be before.
Playing yesterday at 1.30 a.m with my 20/20 pumping all the watts, no neighbours, all sleep, no police calls :) no vibrations under my foots, only a word, wonderful
Ok here you have the photos of the springs and the mounted kit on the marshall cabinet.
I solve some equations and have a 20 pages documents of vibrachoc very good to introduce you into the vibrations and noise theory.
If you want them write me to [email protected] and I will send toy you.

File0016.jpg

File0015-1.jpg

Round 2: Internal cable
One of the things that I will never undestand is the internal cable of the marshall amps.
We are delivering with 150 watts and you could find cables that I use for fishing ;)
Well as soon as I open the cabinet and I saw that poor cables I think that it must to be replace, and what could I say about the connectors????? **** dude, that connectors are worst than drugs, they are the worst connectors I had seen on a loudspeaker.
Well then our goal is to replace that cables with professional cables.
So I go to high ended hifi shop and I look all the cables and asked the saler about the features of the cables ( basically the resistance and the capacitance ) so I become to my home do a few calculates and go another day for the cable.
The cable I choose is the Van Del Hull hybrid 352, is the classical free of oxygen that are mounted on purist audio equipments. It costs to me about 25 dollars per meter. So I only need one meter for all the cable.
The next step is replace the poor connectors so I take the Neutriks iron mounted connectors with a safe that avoid to tha cable go off. They cost to me about 8 dollars per connector.
Well the only machine I used was the dremel to do bigger the holes where were installed the new connectors, after 30 minutes I have all well mounted and closed the cabinet.
The results: I achieve a cleaner tone with more highs and mids. Now I can use my boogie equipment to achieve the classical california crunchy sound, the overtones of harmonics are perfectly reproduce they aren´t distorted and the crunchs sounds marvelous.

File0017_edited.jpg

File0018_edited.jpg

Totally recomended these two mods to improve your overall tone and isolate your cabinet.
Enjoy it.

ok, but think that the wheels are for easy transport, if you want to isolate you need to install that springs.
The casters are very rigid structures and the low frecuencies travels with no problems over it, you need a non rigid structure ( a spring ) that it is able to dissipate the low frecuencies energy.

Sounds like too much work. I think I'll stick to the casters. It doesn't stop all the transfer to the floor, but it stops enough that it takes some of the boom out on certain stages.

Elpelotero said:
the cab rest on the floor on the springs?

They're more like rubber bushing that are meant to isolate vibrations.

You have something similar in your car to isolate the ball joint from the control arm.....otherwise you're steering wheel would be vibrating like a motherf*cker.

And if you've ever pulled the chassis out of a Boogie combo, you'll see that they use bushings to isolate the chassis from the cabnet.

Sounds like too much work
Absolutely not, in a saturday rainy afternoon you could mount it :)

the cab rest on the floor on the springs?
Yes dude the springs are between the floor and the cabinet

The Aurelex GRAMMA does a good job too.
The gramma are 100 dollars and the 4 springs are 30 dollars, even the springs are used into industrial machines and the gramma no :wink:

screamingdaisy said:
Sounds like too much work. I think I'll stick to the casters. It doesn't stop all the transfer to the floor, but it stops enough that it takes some of the boom out on certain stages.
I agree with Diasy, I've got a pair of bass heavy PA speakers and to uncouple them from the floor and to get rid of the tone destroying bass I went to a local store called General Casters and bought a couple of furniture dollies, problem solved. I also use this method with guitar cabs. No need for drilling or mounting anything. Sometimes I think people just overthink these problems.

See now I took the wheels off the bottom of my Mesa 4x12, so it's right on the carpet, and I like it better that way.

the reason you hear primarily low frequencies when you pass by a distant music hall or something similar, is because lower frequencies have a longer wavelength than high frequencies. wavelength is the actual distance the frequency requires to complete a cycle of the wave, and the lowest frequencies can require up to 25 feet or so to complete. if you always play guitar right in front of your speaker cabinet, you will turn the lows up way too high because the cycle of the low waves doesn't have enough space to complete between you and the speaker cabinet. if you want a more balanced sound, try to stand at least 12 feet away from your amp , listen to how it sounds, and then make adjustments based on that.

about isolating the cabinet, i agree with the idea that bass frequencies travel along surfaces easier, so your suggestions make sense

So if y'all like what your doing, protect your ears religiously 8)
great post
always something new to learn or re-learn

Ya guys think that's bad!...... :shock: and :roll:
try having your hearing blown out and wearing a hearing aid and playing guitar.
I waited a long time to be able to afford descent equipment now I got the bread the ability and the desire to play I'm limited.

So if y'all like what your doing, protect your ears religiously 8)

sorry didn't mean to preach

years ago the only thing to protect the ears was the cotton and parifin ear plugs, talk about no tone!!!

Back