Help!!! Fellow Boogie'ns - Should I return LSC for RK II

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAZZGEAR

Reaction score
Can any RK II owners tell me about the cleans on the RK II, I just purchased an LSC 1x12 (but was intending to get the RK II), but for a price of $1200 out the door, I couldnt resist. And the sound of the LSC was to die for. My quesiton is, since you have the RK II (the amp I still have GAS 4), does the clean channel truly sound like the Lonestar (assuming you've played one)?

I can't own both the LSC and the RK II (Hmm could I?) especially if the clean channels are redundant...But I would take the Lonestar back, despite the discounted price, and get the RK II if only I knew for sure that the clean was as advertised.

Unfortunately, I can't audition an RK II because no one within a 100 mile radius has one, and if I purchased it from GC, its a custom order and can't be returned.

BTW my sig will be changing ...as I've sold the Subway Rocket, DRRI and the MK IV is up for sale too in preparation for the RK II (that's B4 buying the LSC, which was unplanned).

The GAS build up this dang RK II is causing is killing me.

Help!

The clean is like the Lone Star with the reverb set to bright. It really reminds me of the clean on a lot of Matchless amps. It's very big and warm.
The only problem in comparing is the overdrive tones. The closest I can get to the Lone Star is Ch. Raw fro mid gain and it's not close enough. Channel 3's vintage is still a Recto's lead tone as well. The rest of the amp is a Recto beast and Ch. 2 Brit IMO, is useless. It's harsh. Overall, the RK II is like a Swiss Army knife. Most times it gives you everything you want and some places you have to compromise, but with 12 modes and a bevy of power amps and the cab switching it's like Disney Land.

I do own a Lonestar 1x12....

I'd like to say that this is Mesa's best clean amp, ever. I cannot imagine being happier with any other amp for the tones that I get out of this amp. And for the price you paid I think you'd be crazy to consider taking it back if you look at the WHOLE picture for the tones you are wanting to present while playing live or recording, (*not sure of your intent here so I'll speak on my quest for the ultimate amp).

No amp will do it all.

Just so we are clear let me repeat, No amp will do it all.

I had a Mark IIc+ combo with all the options, Simulclass, EV, EQ. I had both foot switches for it, the Lead/Rhythm and the EQ/Reverb. I used the EQ/Reverb switch to give me a Lead boost for either my clean or gain settings. And even with this so-called 'Holy Grail' amp, I was not happy. I could get a great metal tone that produced a shi++y clean tone or I could get a good clean tone that didn't push the preamp enough to get a good rock/crunch tone. I also used a modded TS-9 in front of the amp and an Intellifex through the loop, I still wasn't completely sold that this was the best fit for me. This was the second MkIIC+ I had owned that I had had for about 10 years, the other one I owned about 7 years, and I just wasn't happy with it. I wanted a good rhythm, clean and crunch, AND a good lead tone.

Long story short, I sold it and bought 3 amps to replace it, (*I'm also considering a 4th in a Stiletto or a Splawn and a 5th in a Epiphone Valve Jr).

If you want a Mark sound, you won't get it from a Recto.
If you want a Recto sound, you won't get it from a Marshall.
If you want a Fender sound, you won't get it from a Mark.
If you want a Marshall sound, you won't get it from....
I'm sure I could do this for a bunch more iterations but I think you get my point.

Now, playing live we as guitarists need WAY less variety from an amp than you would think if your intent is to please the audience. In fact you don't really need a good clean sound at all so you could get by with a great pushed sound and some processing and be there. By that I mean a good reverb and delay in the loop, a good chorus and some overdrive/distortion/compression pedals out front and you are there. That will cover your live setup. You may have to learn to tap dance but you don't need $15k worth of amp/cabinet/switching/processing to pull this off and it will get you 80% there. The rest of the band might notice if you had better equipment you recorded and/or practiced with but after the first few songs the difference would blur. Maybe the other guitarists in the crowd would notice, maybe not - it all depends on who's driving, not really the car or the race track.

Now for recording you are probably going to be a little more picky here but there are lots of tricks to get you closer to a sound than you having to buy a different amp to get you 100% of that tone that is in your head.

I doubt a RKII is going to be EVERYTHING for everybody but it is a great amp with a ton of options and covers a lot of sonic territory. I am not suggesting that you should consider NOT getting one but think of this.

If the LS gives you the clean you are looking for, look no further for a clean amp. For that alone I bought it because it blows away a Fender Twin, a Roland Jazz Chorus 120 and anything else I could think of for the price and you got yours cheaper than I got mine. (*I did replace the stock tubes and got an even BETTER sound out of it than stock and I was blown away with the stock sound in the store) If it doesn't that is another matter so why did you buy it? Answer that question and you will be half way to your decision of whether to take it back or not.

Tube amps are great when they work and a pain when they are having problems or need retubed. The RKII uses a lot of tubes and has some VERY advance features that you may or may not really need. Consider if you really want an amp that does everything it does in one package. Think if you want to have all your eggs in one basket, in case that basket is accidentally backed over in the parking lot by a drunken patron after a show. :p

Personally I still use pedals in front of ALL my amps because I use Good Low gain pickups in my guitar for the times I want the sound that only those pickups can produce. So I push the signal into the amp with a modded pedal, volume up/gain down, to make up for pickups that do not have a bazillion windings to my humbuckers or EMG actives. Just my preference here, YMMV. You might find this would get you closer with the LS to do the same. It won't sound exactly like a Recto but you could get close. Oh, and with EL34's, I doubt the RKII sounds like a Marshall or Stiletto either FWIW. I Love good Marshall tones, grew up on them. The LS doesn't/won't sound like a Marshall but neither will my Recto with different tubes or a pedal or EQ or ???, but I can get it close. (*see above comment about eggs and tones :roll: )

I hope this helps in getting you to look at all the options before you trade off the LS. Bottom line is you can ask owners of the RKII about the sounds but it really is up to you to decide as tone is subjective your hearing is going to vary from day to day. Speaker selection is going to make a huge difference too so try you LS with a 2x12 or 4x12 if you have one or access to these via a friend. Hey, drag it down to the store you bought it at and use cabs they have on the floor. Tell the salesman you are considering buying an additional cab for your LS. And for the record I have been a Boogie owner for over 20 years now, having owned many different models and playing just about every model in the stores as they came out.

Thats why I love this forum....great insight and points of views.

Yes the LSC has the clean sound I have been in search of for years. And I played it some more last night...and with every strum the GAS for the RK II was quickly leaking out of my system.

RIght know the RKII is in my rear view mirror and the distance is increasing. I am now about 85% sure to keep my Mark IV and 100% the LSC.

I've also come to the realization that I just cannot dump the $$$ on an amp of this price w/o being able to first try it.....

My Mark IV is a head version, currently now on eBay. I am going to order the custom cab for it as I had planned to B4 the RK II GAS episode.

So if anyone is interested in a head cab for a Mark IV (short head), drop me a PM...

I am going to let the auction run for a couple more days while I get my order in place.

Yes, you'll get the fabulous Lone Star clean tone with just the bright Reverb setting (no option to change this in the RK II). The lead channels are completely different sounding.

If you're open to a dual amp setup with switching (since you got a great deal on your Lone Star), consider just getting a single or dual rectifier for your heavy tones if that's the sound you like (the RK II is a dual rectifier).

Or, if you don't need the EL34 option, just get the RK Roadster instead of the RK II -- they're barely different. (For a list of differences, see the Other Comments section of this review: http://www.musicplayers.com/reviews/guitars/2006/0906_MesaBoogieRoadKing.php

Scott

scottkahn said:
Yes, you'll get the fabulous Lone Star clean tone with just the bright Reverb setting (no option to change this in the RK II). The lead channels are completely different sounding.

If you're open to a dual amp setup with switching (since you got a great deal on your Lone Star), consider just getting a single or dual rectifier for your heavy tones if that's the sound you like (the RK II is a dual rectifier).

Or, if you don't need the EL34 option, just get the RK Roadster instead of the RK II -- they're barely different. (For a list of differences, see the Other Comments section of this review: http://www.musicplayers.com/reviews/guitars/2006/0906_MesaBoogieRoadKing.php

Scott

That's the best suggestion todate, I hadn't even thought about the Roadster. Yes, I think that would certainly work....and save about $600.

Now to find a store with a Roadster.

Dang scottkahn good suggestion.....here goes that GAS again, however. :lol:

Thanks

I just skimmed over this thread, but I haven't read anything where you state why you want the RK II except for your GAS problem. Sometimes I don't understand what people want.

Its pretty simple to me, two totally different amps:

- The LS is voiced for a vintage clean and vintage bluesy lead tone.
- The RK/Roadster has an LS-like clean and the rest of the channels are more recto like.

I ordered a Roadster for the 6L6-based cleans and Recto tones.

Mr_You said:
I just skimmed over this thread, but I haven't read anything where you state why you want the RK II except for your GAS problem. Sometimes I don't understand what people want.

Its pretty simple to me, two totally different amps:

- The LS is voiced for a vintage clean and vintage bluesy lead tone.
- The RK/Roadster has an LS-like clean and the rest of the channels are more recto like.

I ordered a Roadster for the 6L6-based cleans and Recto tones.

Fair enough, the only thing missing from my stable of amps is true Recto capabilities,

the RK II offered (at least in theory), great cleans and the vaunted Dual Rec modes.

Yes, the RK II gives you the Lone Star cleans and the Recto heavy stuff, plus a lot more in the middle.

If I were going to spend the money over again, though, I might go with the Roadster. I really don't need the EL34 option. I switched from Marshall to Boogie years ago because I love their 6L6 tone.

You'll have to let us know which amp you end up with!

I like "Keep the LoneStar Classic" and if you need the high gain stuff add a "Dual Rectifier" in your collection later.

A Road King II would be an excellent choice if you had neither

The RKII covers alot of area but if asks me, the Lone Star Classic and Dual Rectifier really specialize in their terrority where RKII you have play with all those channels and modes trying to achive these tones. Well then again, that's half the fun owning a RKII.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have a Road King II. I just can't see myself part with my current amps which are all "keeper".

Just my $ -.02

Hi Folks thanks for your feedback....I've made a decision.

1. The LSC is a keeper.

2. I just rec'vd my Triaxis back from MB where I had them back out of the Phat MOD. Let me yell you, the recto mode is of the chain.....much much better than with the MOD. So with that, I have no need for a RECTO amp. And in all honesty the Recto sound is the least used

3. With the $$ I saved, I ordered an LSS, to use in the studio and in some restaurant gigs where volume must be well controlled. As a bonus GC threw in a BOSS DD 6 pedal for .02

4. The last bonus was that I pulled my Mark IV from eBay as I didn't need to sell it to fund the RK II purchase (if I kept both the RK II and the LSC).

So, I believe I have all the sounds in my head covered with the amps in my stable.

Latest posts

Back