Got the Sylvania 6ca7 fat bottel tubes today.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cremona

Reaction score
Hi

a bit long questian but here it goes

Finaly received my tubes the shuld test out perfect, the will par up with two philips 7581A wich BTW sound freaking nuts in the c+) in a DRG c+ updgraded 12xx and 100 trannny

Now before them , i had some spanking new mullard reisue el34`s the thin ones (new sensor ) , but im not quit sure yet what to make out of the sylvanias .

Sylvanias= bigger sound deeper bass less midrangy, did i mention say big sound ? sound is huge out of the marshall 1960.

But, with the mullards there where this incredible holow grunt ,wich where more focused and not as flappy.
this where very diffrent when having the mullards in there compared to the sylvanias . enyone that play metal and have done a agressiv E Chunga through a c+ and a 4x12 , or have heard dyers eve with metallica know what i mean.

That is cleary gone,same everything and 7581a as 6l6 in the inner sockets. Maybe the tubes put further stress to somthing that needs replacing like bias components or power supply caps, i have hade that sence for a while, could it be that the caps now are put to further stress when the new tubes makes it so more huge and dynamic ?

The are special , but is it a mismatc for my paticual amp , in other words if i buy a mesa 416 str i will get a better sound , and last but not least could it simply be that the tubes wher old and tired and there for dont do the grunt , or i like the mullards ?

Thanks for your time and thourghts

regards

Put one pic in there for the true fans , jep i pimped it, I whent out and got it a wide style mesa/boogie logo its a dangerous machine , sound of fury was its name but now i think i love it and call it nothing i just get blown away when i hid those chords , its like holding the power of god,(espicialy when you liv in a arpartment :roll:

foto1qh.jpg

foto5j.jpg

66437216220520101200387.jpg

cremona said:
Sylvanias= bigger sound deeper bass less midrangy, did i mention say big sound ? sound is huge out of the marshall 1960.

You will need to adjust your graphic EQ differently for the 6CA7's, Try lowering your 240Hz slider a little bit and PLEASE raise your 750 Hz slider off that bottom line. :wink: Why is your "Volume1" knob set so low in the picture??????

JOEY B. said:
cremona said:

You will need to adjust your graphic EQ differently for the 6CA7's, Try lowering your 240Hz slider a little bit and PLEASE raise your 750 Hz slider off that bottom line. :wink: Why is your "Volume1" knob set so low in the picture??????

Sorry the pic of the amp is a older PIc it was before the new tubes , I a have a very different EQ setting now, bass slider are now under the top line and i put a littel more eq middel in there , but i alwasy have the middel pot pulled and on 4/5.
But il try playing around with it a bit more today.

Thanks

tony777 said:
cremona said:
in other words if i buy a mesa 416 str i will get a better sound
I always thought the sylvania 6CA7 was the STR 416 tube.

Yes , but i have a feeling that mesa picked out tubes that fall into a surthen bias, so if you buy none mesa you have a greater risk of a mismatch.

But il try working the eq today and see what if i can dial it in better.

new settings , now that awsome hoolow crunching lows are back, but sound is just so much bigger .

I found out that i had turned the bass to 3 when i had it on the bench while i was changing tubes, amazing that just 1 more notch on the bass gives a compltly diffderent low.end respons.

I dont know why if it makes the pictures turns up the wrong side but you sould be abel to see what i have ajustede

her are the new settings for apartment metal.

foto9q.jpg

foto10b.jpg

foto8zs.jpg

If you are using a humbucker guitar, pulling the "bass shift" might cause the low frequencies to sound muddy. I'm glad you worked out the 6CA7 tone to your liking. If I were you, I would seriously start looking for an old metal grille MESA 2x12 and load it with the Eminence Delta Pro 12A or the EVM-12L speakers. This will make a greater impact on your dynamics than the 105 power transformer. I never thought that the Celestion Vintage 30 speaker was a good match for the C+, too mid heavy, and might explain your need to "bottom out" the 750 Hz EQ slider. You can always cut a piece of wood to cover the upper open back part of the Mesa 2x12, if need be. As with the tubes, there will be a need to adjust your settings for the different speakers, but the rewards will be great.

JOEY B. said:
If you are using a humbucker guitar, pulling the "bass shift" might cause the low frequencies to sound muddy. I'm glad you worked out the 6CA7 tone to your liking. If I were you, I would seriously start looking for an old metal grille MESA 2x12 and load it with the Eminence Delta Pro 12A or the EVM-12L speakers. This will make a greater impact on your dynamics than the 105 power transformer. I never thought that the Celestion Vintage 30 speaker was a good match for the C+, too mid heavy, and might explain your need to "bottom out" the 750 Hz EQ slider. You can always cut a piece of wood to cover the upper open back part of the Mesa 2x12, if need be. As with the tubes, there will be a need to adjust your settings for the different speakers, but the rewards will be great.

Thanks Joey.

Yes i run humbuckers in my ESP Eclipse (les paul), il try and push the pot in. :wink: . but the sound im getting right now is huge and really dimensional , i think the sylvania tubes made such a fundemental change that i needed to start from scrach setting the amp up, the amp sounded weak and compressed with the new stock tubes , now it sounds like a wall of masssive mesa crunch .

I got the marshall cab cheap,its good to have around and works good with somthings, but i will diffently look into getting a Mesa cab, its also on my list, right now with the 1960 cab i go from 4 ohms on the cab to 4 ohms in the amp, the mesa cabs have 8 ohms connection and will proberly run better Ohm wise with the C+ .

Its diffently true regards to the midrangy sound of the marshall, the are very midrangy and proberly why i keep droping the 750 slider, even the mesas with v30 would proberly work much better because the are more scooped and have more natural bass then the marshalls with v30`s.

Regards

A littel update.

Well take note gentelmen , the problem was the room.

My cab was placed in the corner of my room, and the increase of dynamics and bandthwith the sylvanias provided caused the sound to become boomy and to bassy and thick thats why the el34 mullards sounded IMO better.

When i moved the cab into the room away from the walls the mullard el34`s made the amp sound alittel weak and thin and i needed to redial everything, but then it hit why not try the sylvanias again , bang then it all came together ,cant belive i hadent thourgt about the placement of the speaker before the sound is bone crushing angry beautiful , im pretty much blown away by the sound.

:)

That is why I have my stereo subwoofer in the corner and not any of the guitar cabs. :wink:
Keep the Sylvania secret to yourself, as the prices will only get higher with increased demand. :(

cremona said:
Sylvanias= bigger sound deeper bass less midrangy, did i mention say big sound ?

I agree with this 100%. I've always thought of them as 6L6GCs since they have the same sound to me. If I want nice, full, airy cleans with EL34s, I use Sylvania/GE 6CA7s.

cremona said:
Hi

a bit long questian but here it goes

Finaly received my tubes the shuld test out perfect, the will par up with two philips 7581A wich BTW sound freaking nuts in the c+) in a DRG c+ updgraded 12xx and 100 trannny

Now before them , i had some spanking new mullard reisue el34`s the thin ones (new sensor ) , but im not quit sure yet what to make out of the sylvanias .

But, with the mullards there where this incredible holow grunt ,wich where more focused and not as flappy.
this where very diffrent when having the mullards in there compared to the sylvanias . enyone that play metal and have done a agressiv E Chunga through a c+ and a 4x12 , or have heard dyers eve with metallica know what i mean.

That is cleary gone,same everything and 7581a as 6l6 in the inner sockets. Maybe the tubes put further stress to somthing that needs replacing like bias components or power supply caps, i have hade that sence for a while, could it be that the caps now are put to further stress when the new tubes makes it so more huge and dynamic ?

The are special , but is it a mismatc for my paticual amp , in other words if i buy a mesa 416 str i will get a better sound , and last but not least could it simply be that the tubes wher old and tired and there for dont do the grunt , or i like the mullards ?

Thanks for your time and thourghts

regards

Put one pic in there for the true fans , jep i pimped it, I whent out and got it a wide style mesa/boogie logo its a dangerous machine , sound of fury was its name but now i think i love it and call it nothing i just get blown away when i
hid those chords , its like holding the power of god,(espicialy when you liv in a arpartment :roll:
That is why I have my songs sub in the place and not any of the device cabs.
Keep the Sylvania key to yourself, as the expenses will only get higher with enhanced need.

Back