Good Overdrive with Dual Recto clean?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xscottx9

Reaction score
My Dual Recto channel 2 distortion is all good, and I am very happy .. it slays my DSL50 Lead channel ..

But, I cant seem to find a good Overdrive with the clean channel. My DSL50 Clean is just so "plain" most of my OD's sound good with it. The DR Clean channel reminds of of my short lived TSL100 clean, .. I could not find a good OD for it eaither.

There is some sort of funky midrange thing going on, and any Mid rang OD's really bring it out, and I dont like the sound at all .. Pedals I own, and have not had luck with.

TS-9
Marhsall Guv'Nor MK I *england*
Line 6 Crunchtone
Keeley SD-1
Boss SD-1
Barber Direct Drive
Barber silver LTD

I have and have not tried
Boss BD-2
Subdecay Stupid Box
Digitech Bad Monkey

just something not cool with the Dual Recto Mids in the CLean channel?

I feel you there. I think the clean channel on the DR stinks, which is one reason I'm considering a jump to a Roadster or Road King. I have a vintage and reissue TS9, and neither sounds good there. And for the original TS9, that's saying a lot.

You might consider playing around with running the clean in pushed mode, and backing off your volume for cleaner parts (assuming you have the 3 channel DR). If you have the 2 channel (which I did at one time), get an A/B box out front, and a good clean combo. ;)

xscottx9 said:
Boss BD-2
Subdecay Stupid Box
Digitech Bad Monkey

Boss BD-2.....If I remember, it's also mid boosted.
Subdecay.....never tried it.
Digitech Bad Monkey......Basically a Tube Screamer clone.

Anyway, I just use the amps natural gain for clean channel OD and back off the volume for "cleaner" cleans. The Rectifier has a very cold, sterile, midrangy sort of clean tone and I don't think you'll be able to warm it up if that's what you're after. I feel that most OD's are built with a Marshall in mind, so their midrange bump becomes super pronounced on something as mid heavy as a Rectifier. I never did find a dirt box that I thought sounded good with the Recto, but the Proco Rat is the best of the one's I tried.

I also recommend running in the pushed mode and backing off the gain a bit, much fatter and less sterile. I use a TS9 and a Fulltone OCD with mine, both sound good in clean.

I have a Tremoverb... and everybody says it has the best cleans of any Rec... but I still don't like it much. I can use the volume knob on my Les Paul to go from clean (volume at about 3) to scream (volume at 10).

Huh, I've always liked the recto cleans??

I didn't like my TS with it though, but I do with my Road King. With my Triple and Tremoverbs I used my Boogie V-Twin for 2 additional channels and I thought it sounded pretty darn good.

I had an OCD but sold it as it was so scooped sounding. Well .. I bought one of the new ones today that supposedly fixed the to scooped problem, .. it seemed to fit the bill very nicely for me. .

see what happens next.

I also have some files to post soon.

DR with ..

6v6/kt-77
JJE34L's
JJ 6L6 GC's
Mesa 6L6 GC's ..

kind of a road test of tubes ..

My Boss OD3 sounds great for a mild overdrive on my tremoverb and gooses gain well too. The OD3 maintains, maybe even boosts, your bass and sounds very natural. I clipped D6 and/or D7 (cant quite remember), makes it even more open sounding.

This is going to seem to be an odd answer, but...

Change your V1 preamp tube. I could NOT get an OD to sound good in front of my clean channel on my 3ch Triple until I changed V1 to a TungSol. I now have a nice, spanky clean that sounds good with a TS-808 is front of it. Don't expect miracles - it's not going to sound like a Fender - but it helped a lot.

i do not own the Dual Rectifier anymore. I did change the V1 to a tung sol :( ..

I now have a Roadster, and it is a little more OD pedal friendly on its Clean channels .. still not as friendly as a Marshall clean, but close enough for now.

I too changed the V! on the Roadster with a Tung Sol ..

I think I run a Tung sol in V1 on all my amps .. great tube.

screamingdaisy said:
xscottx9 said:
Boss BD-2
Subdecay Stupid Box
Digitech Bad Monkey

Boss BD-2.....If I remember, it's also mid boosted.
Subdecay.....never tried it.
Digitech Bad Monkey......Basically a Tube Screamer clone.

Anyway, I just use the amps natural gain for clean channel OD and back off the volume for "cleaner" cleans. The Rectifier has a very cold, sterile, midrangy sort of clean tone and I don't think you'll be able to warm it up if that's what you're after. I feel that most OD's are built with a Marshall in mind, so their midrange bump becomes super pronounced on something as mid heavy as a Rectifier. I never did find a dirt box that I thought sounded good with the Recto, but the Proco Rat is the best of the one's I tried.

Ok--the absoloute key to getting a warm and full clean tone in channel 1 on my Triple Recto is to crank the output. The recto's clean is all about poweramp and not much preamp(...ok..a little). Heres what I do--@ this point Im playing @ a very resonable volume with the over-all amp output @ noon and the clean channel volume is @ about 9 or 10. The other channels can be compensated for the overly large power amp volume by backing them off as well and I think youll like the results! My presence and Gain on channel one are both pegged!! I put my bass @ 1 oclock and my mids @ 8 or 9 oclock and my Treble is @ 2-3 oclock. I play with the gain up for the butter that it brings and control distortion by backing down the mids and using the treble for a nice sparkle and clarity. The key again is to have the power amp output up enough to start to give you that bouncy squish that your trying to dial in with the preamp but isnt there. I get a great clean sound for my needs that sparkles and is big and round enough to be fender-ish and yet edgy enough to cut through the drums and bass. :wink:

Back