Gibson SG Standard vs 61 reissue

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffp

Reaction score
tell me a little about the SG standard anybody. I have a growing interest in them and the 61 reissue. How bout the neck? How bout you tubenator. jeff
Express 550 2x12
American strat

Both are great guitars, the 61 will run you a little more money though. Basic differences are;

thinner, 60s neck profile
usually a one piece body
neck joint at the 22nd fret
57 pickups
nickel hardware

Standard
fatter neck profile, closer to a 50s shape
usually a 2 piece body
neck joint at the 19th fret
490 and 498 pickups I believe
chrome hardware

I've owned both but keep a Standard since I prefer the heavier neck.

thats about how i have it figured ....neck,pickups and all.........if you`ve had both but keep a standard i guess it`s whatever fits you. (neck). I`m sure the standard is a fine instrument especially if you work out the pickups. Is there any other thing to watch for such as where its made,etc.?how do you compare the finish on the standard?jeffp

[edit] arrgg, stupid post of the MONTH!

I gotta read better!

I'd get the 61' reissue for the vintage pups and the different finish but that is personal preference. Gotta grab the one you like at the end of the day.

I have both.........they are great guitars, look very similar, but play & sound like very different guitars.

The 61 has a thinner wider neck with a rather fragile neck joint. If you pull on the neck it flexes very easy and feels like it wouldn't take much pressure to snap it off. It also has a much larger headstock which makes the guitar even more neck heavy and causes "neck dive" as soon a you let go of the neck......even with a leather strap. The 57 pups sound great.

The standard has a much stronger, secure neck joint. The neck is fatter and it comes with the 490 & 498 pups which I think sound good in an SG. Les Paul size headstock and slight neck dive with a leather strap. I actually prefer the Standard.

I bought both new and paid $600.00 more the 61. Buy the standard for the smaller headstock and much stronger neck joint which doesn't interfere with upper fret access. If you don't like the pups, use some of the $600.00 you saved and buy a different set.

Back