Full Rack or Head + Effects Rack

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which would you choose?

• Buy another Pre

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Sell what you have and buy a real Mark

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters

JMMP

Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is my first time asking a "what would you do" type question instead of a technical question.

What I have: Quad pre, 2:Ninety, GC Pro.

What I want: A MIDI controlled second rig separate from my roadster, with basically any effect I want, clean cleans, mid gain crunch, and Mark style high gain rhythm and lead.

My thoughts on how to get there: I have the Quad and 2:90. They sound great together for the most part. Sometimes nasally, other times not. I love the 2C+ side high gain from the quad, but can't balance that with a clean clean sound, leaving me with either my favorite tone in the preamp, or the best clean in it, but not both. The Mark III side will give me a good rhythm high gain, something slightly thicker and "there" than the 2C+, and it gives me a decent crunch, granted with a lot of mids, or too little with the EQ engaged.

All that said, I feel I can keep what I have, and add an extra pre in there for a better crunch and good clean, or I can sell what I have and get a mark IV with a few pedals for the mid gain, or a Mark V. Add in a Mini Amp Gizmo, L6 M5, and a Gmajor 2 (the last 2 I am planning on buying anyway), and I can accomplish my goal.

Now I ask, what would you do? Buy another rack pre for clean and crunch, or sell the current rack gear and get a Mark IV or V.

And if you like the additional pre better, which one? I had a triaxis, but I couldn't bond with the lower gain parts, and it was too expensive to keep just for cleans.
I can think of a Voodoo Labs Pre, ENGL E530, and Mesa Formula that I think would accomplish the goal.

Thanks for any and all responses!

You're a GSP1101 away from having it all my friend. 8)
Run it in 4CM with your quad and use the amp models for the clean sounds and it also makes a great multi fx processor.
edit;
If you decide to sell your quad please hit me up.

Well the Quad is all Mark. But it does have limitations as many older gems do. You allready know a lot of this but I'll rehash it anyways.
You will need to designate a priority for each Channel meaning Rythm or lead. Then set the second mode of that channel so as to not comprimise the primary goal of that channel. Example: You will find it challenging to get "blistering" Mark IIC+ tone without overloading the rhythm mode of channel A. Channel A has the best clean tone so this is of course frustrating. The culprit is the Channel input volume being shared within Channel A modes Rhythm/Lead. Also the treble settings play a factor in gain as well.
Those are the two biggest factors in my experience. Those input volume and treble settings only effect that channel meaning Channel A Mark II input gain and treble settings have nothing to do with channel B Mark III settings.
So that being said you can.....

Set Channel A Mark IIC+ Rhythm mode for best clean tone, meaning lower channel volume input gain and lower treble settings basically optimized for the clean tone. Next you have to work around with what you got on the lead mode for channel A and get the best medium gain lead tone you can. I would probably reserve the five band for the lead mode to help dial it in.

Next set Channel B Mark III Lead Mode for the best high gain Rhythm tone you can with higher input volume and treble settings and the five band.
Now go to Channel B Rhythm mode and dial it in for a crunch gain tone with or without the five band.

Remember there's nothing stopping you from using a good pedal or patch for a different "alternate" crunch tone on Channel A Rhythm.

I ended up getting a second Quad for fun and put together a monster rack with a 295, a mesa amp switcher voodoo loop switchers and ground control for quad functions and channel patch switching and Tc G major and a dual rectifier rack mountjust so I would have freedom to tweak at will.
I basically use
Quad#1 Channel A rhythm mode "Clean"
Quad#1 Channel B Rhythm or lead mode "dirty low to medium gain"
Quad#2 channel A Lead mode "high gain lead"
Quad#2 channel B Lead mode "high gain rhythm"
This is of course allot of fun and all but if you plan on lugging this stuff around it would not be very practical. It's my play station.
The Mark V is a great amp with lots of choices but its own set of limitations 3 channels 9 modes but only 3 sounds plus lead boost available at any given time. It's a different animal than the quad still related but more refined. Allthough the quad has a rawness that I just love. Mark V has great cleans and great high gain its
those elusive lower gain and crunch tone allways seems to be the hardest to get right with the mark series. You would need to sit down with a Mark V and see if you like it. If you can't find a tone that will fit your needs on channel 2 then your basically on the same boat you are allready in. There is however allot of great tones in that amp though.
I just wish I could have them all at once

I have Triaxis 2:90 rig
Monster 2X Quad Recto rack
Mark V combo 1x12
Mesa Blue angel 1x12
I know exactly what your going through
Enjoy the journey : )

Thanks for the responses!

The GSP1101 is a great suggestion, but I am not wanting to do digital amp sims at this point.

dbone, I have seen that monster rack you have, and I am in awe of it! Portability isn't a huge concern right now, but I don't want to have more gear than I need to (floor space), and while money isn't necessarily an issue either, the less I spend, the better. I am leaning towards getting a head at this point because I feel that for all the quad and 2:90 are giving me is one channel I REALLY like, and another thats ok. I retried plugging the quad into my roadster, and find I like the Mark 3 side better, go figure.

Channel A rhythm, when I have the 2C+ side dialed how I like it is just slightly broken up, and excessively bright. It isn't good for any sound I like at that point. Also, I'm finding the 11 12ax7 and 8 6L6 retubes when it comes that time to be slightly absurd considering my inability to fully run stereo. I love the idea, but it just doesn't seem practical at this point.

You are right about the limitations or the Mark V, but I am looking to get a good clean, and good crunch, and the Liquid Mark lead sound, which I think a MV or MIV would give, albeit with maybe a pedal for the crunch on the MIV.

I had the TriAxis 2:90 setup, and thinking back on it I may have been able to make that work, but I just couldn't get the Lead 1s to work to my liking. I think it may have been my bassy pick though, which I have since switched.

Go take that Mark V for a test drive, it may be all you really need.
You can buy them used as well and save some pennies
Ch 1
Clean
Fat
Tweed

Ch 2
Edge
Crunch
Mark I

Ch 3
Mark IIC+
Mark IV