Finally after so many months...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryan b

Reaction score
I got the call today. I dropped everything I was doing and went. I have to say, I'm a little embarrassed though, I was so excited when I got to the store, my hands were shaking so bad, I couldn't do anything with it there. But I finally got it home, and was able to really dig into this amp and what all it had to offer. I got the head (MKV 358), and it's my first Boogie, and I must say that I enjoy it.

CH 1
Clean Clean is a decent setting. It's a little bit brighter than the other modes on this channel, but overall, it's usable. Not really that much to say about it.

Fat Is by far my favorite setting on Channel 1. It's got that lushness of an old vintage Vox AC30 but with that crispness and chime of a Fender Deluxe Reverb. Turn up the reverb on this channel, and your cleans just come alive. Complex chords jump out of this setting like no other clean setting I have ever played. Just truly amazing.

Tweed To me sounds really bluesy. It's got some bite, but it's still pretty clean. Being the Opeth fan I am, it reminds me a lot of something Awkerfeldt would use for a clean solo. Roll up the gain, and you can get some pretty cool blues licks and such, much like using an overdrive pedal infront of a normal clean amp

Ch 2
Edge Like most people say on these boards, Edge is very bright, and for the type music I play, not very usuable. I haven't really touched this setting at all

Crunch When you get this setting dialed in right, this setting will give you that classic rock vibe. It took me a while, but I finally got it there. AC/DC, Van Halen, Led Zeppelin, Queen.... It was all there.

Mark I This is what I've had set on my Channel 2 all afternoon. It's amazing. I have it set in thick mode, and leads 'cream' out of this mode like no other amp. Rush, Pink Floyd solos, the ending solo to Octavarium. It is just amazing.

Ch 3
Mark IIC+ So, I guess this is where the big battle is at. Being as though I've never owned another Boogie, or have never played an original IIC+, I can't make the comparison on how close this setting is. But I will tell you that it will not dissapoint those of us who can't compare it. It's got a massive sound, and definately has that classic Metallica vibe and the Petrucci sound.

Mark IV I haven't really played around with this setting enough to appreciate it I guess, but when I did play it, I found to mids to be a bit more scooped than my liking. Having played a Mark IV before, I can say that it was extremely close to what I remember the IV sounding like (though someone with the ability to A/B them could probably give you a better idea)

Extreme Mother of God, wow. This setting can set things on fire, no joke. It's got a massive sound. I put my guitar into drop D, an just listened to a whole new level of chunk that I have never been able to achieve before. Leads stay articulate, and don't muddy up. I feel that I will be switching between this setting an the MK II setting all the time.

Some of my settings (I'm playing a EBMM JP6)

Ch 1 (Fat, EQ off)
Bold switch on
Gain - 10:00
Master - 3:30
Presence - almost dead 12:00
Treble - 2:00
Mids - 11:00
Bass - 1:00

Ch 2 (Mark I, EQ on Preset at 1:30)
Thick switch on
Gain - 2:30
Master - 2:00
Presence - 9:30
Treble - 2:30
Mids - 11:00
Bass - off

Ch 3 (Mark IIC+ or Extreme, EQ on sliders)
Bright switch on
Gain - 3:30
Master - 11:30
Presence - 10:00
Treble - 2:00
Mids - 10:00
Bass - 9:00

Sliders (center line is 0, top line is +1, bottom line is -1)

80 - +.98
240 - +.4
750 - -.5
2200 - +.5
6600 - right at 0

set ouput accordingly.

Bottom line, if you're looking for exact reproductions of certain amps (Mark I, IIC+, IV), I don't know. But you'll probably just be more happy with the originals.

If you're looking for a new inspiring amp that has amazing tone and versitility, and go in not expecting anything but that. This amp will not dissapoint.

Thank you for your review, comments, and setting ideas. I,ll be sure and try em out when mine arrives (soon). It,s finally on the way!

Peace & congrats to ya my fellow Mark Fiver!

Fantastic Review. Exactly what I wanted to hear.

I just wanted to know if it's a good amp, not picking the thing apart to minute details if it replicates EXACTLY the other amps or not. I just want it to sound good, and you have convinced me of that!

So after being able to play around with it more today while practicing with my band, I was able to dial it in just a tad bit more and touch up on some settings.

CH 1

I rolled the gain back to about 9:00
turned the master up to 4:00
and rolled the bass back to 12:00

CH 2

I rolled the gain back to 2:00
and rolled the master back to 1:30
I also turned the presence up slightly but I don't remember exactly how much
I left the EQ alone

CH 3

I rolled the gain back to 3:00
turned the master up to 12:30
And left the EQ alone on this channel as well
Also on the back, I have Pentode selected

Sliders

I moved the 6600 slider down to -.2. It really smoothed everything out.

Back