Factory Seconds from TubeDepot? Anyone try 'em?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dylan7620

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was browsing through tubedepot.com and noticed the factory second tubes in there for cheap. I'm a little strained right now on cash but my Mark IV needs some new power tubes in the worst way. (The volume cuts out and won't come back on after a couple minutes of playing and it keeps getting worse) Anyway, this is what their site says about them:
"factory seconds" are no different. Some were returned from various amplifier manufacturers because they measured outside of their preferred range. While others may have physical irregularities, scratches on the bases or were simple exchanged returns.
No matter what the reason, all of these tubes have been retested by us and fully met our stringent requirements. But since we can't sell them as new, we are passing the savings to you by selling these great tubes at a deep discount.
To provide even more savings to you, we are offering these tubes with a 10 day warranty. Sorry, no cash refunds.

Now I understand this isn't the ideal way to go. When I get the money I'll probably buy a completely brand new quad set and then keep these as backups. Heck, if I had the money I'd throw down on a few sets of STR415s but us musicians gotta get by with what we can sometimes, you know?

I guess I'd just like to hear out anybody who has actually tried them or has known of someone actually trying them. I'd like to hear the good, bad or ugly instances of whether or not it's worth it. I'm looking at the SED =C= 6L6GCs, which would only be $40 plus tax and shipping for a quad versus brand spanking new at $110 plus tax and shipping. I'm thinking there are three different scenarios for what happens.

Scenario A: They turn out to be great tubes, performing on par for the most part with their "untainted" siblings but most people don't even bother simply because of the "Factory 2nd/Grade B" stigma.

Scenario B: They come off as "okay" sounding, maybe not quite as good as how my amp sounded before but at least they work and will get me through a few months until I can get my hands on new set.

Scenario C: Complete rubbish, I try to send them back but something goes wrong and I miss the 10 day window (and this would happen because bad things happen in a domino effect and it can never be just one thing that goes wrong). Then the shame sets in of knowing full well that only cheap idiots buy 2nd class valves and I cry myself to sleep over the fifty or so bucks I wasted until I can redeem myself later on by getting new ones.

One more thing, I noticed that some may be returned from amp manufactures because they weren't in their preferred range, I'm assuming this includes Mesa since they're known to do that. My amp is well past its five year warranty so I'm not risking voiding anything of that nature but I'd like to think that if these tubes do so in fact happen to be out of traditional boogie specifications I'll still be okay and not suffer anything other than maybe not having "ideal tone." So lets have at it... what do you guys think?

I havent tried tham but someone I know bought a batch,he reported a 2 out of 3 immediate failure rate.He's an amp builder and bought a batch of 100.He said they were outright bad tubes,not returned because they were "outside their preferred range".I would stay away from them.You'd do better on ebay than 2 out of 3.

i got deleted for spam!! hahah
dummy me!!

anyways, if you didn't see that link i posted before, dont mess around if you are low on cash, i have a quad of these, and they really sound nice.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ruby-6L6GC-STR-Matched-Amp-Tubes-212030-i1125583.gc

I wouldnt advise just popping those Ruby's into a Mesa amp without checking the current draw.They wont necessarily be in the right range for your amp.

really?

what IS the general consensus then for mesa amps, only use mesa branded tubes??

sounds kinda narrowminded on mesa's part if you ask me.

i only ask, cause i dont know. i dont have a mesa anymore, but popped the ruby's in my egnater and they sound phenom.

Should never put power tubes in any amp without checking that the bias or current draw is okay.Narrow minded on Mesa's part?Yeah,their whole idea is to get you to use only their power tubes or power tubes from GT.In fact,if you dont use the tubes they sell or the GT's they approve of,they will void your warranty.

from my understanding, my egnater can take any matched power tubes...but it has built in bias adjustment...a really intuitive feature from an amp manufacturer standpoint. love that amp. love the sounds. traded a heartbreaker for it and really, honestly, haven't looked back.

that being said, im REALLY stuck on the mark v and a stilleto head. love the unique sounds both can get. and i hang around in the tube section here because of the knowledge base and quick input people give.

Thanks for answering.

Not familiar with the Egnater,but a lot of amps have "built in bias adjustment".But that doesnt mean it automatically adjusts the bias,unless it is cathode biased.Most higher power amps,40 watts and above have what is called "fixed bias",dont let that term fixed mislead you tho,it doesnt mean non-adjustable.It refers to a fixed amount of negative voltage applied to the control grid to set the current draw.As long as your plates are not glowing red or orange,you are likely safe,if not operating at its optimal bias point,but safe.If you have an adjustable fixed bias set-up,it is always best to check and adjust the bias if need be.Cathode biased amps are a different story,the bias point is set by a cathode resistor that makes the grid think it is negative compared to the cathodes positive voltage and doesnt need to be adjusted.If your amp sounds good and isnt red-plating,it is really just a matter of being lucky,all tubes of the same type dont automatically draw the same or proper current and blindly installing power tubes without checking the bias is a crapshoot.

I have bought 2 quads of Winged C 6L6's from them. They sound great. Bot my favorite 6L6, but that's why I got them: so I didn't have to spend the big money on the real deal.

And FWIW, I just talked to them on the phone today and almost all of their Winged C stock is gone and wont be replenished for a month or so. :(

Latest posts

Back