EVM-12L 200 Watt Classic Or 300 Watt Black Label - Worth It?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soundchaser59

Reaction score
I am ready to experiment with a guitar speaker that is a little more daring and in your face than the usual Eminence vs Celestion vs Weber vs Tone Tubby lines. Seeing as how the EVM-12L is so much easier to get than the JBL's are, I figured I would start asking people who may have already used this particular EV speaker with Mesa amps.

Is this an alnico type speaker? Or is it a neo? Or something else? Is there a marked difference (other than price) between the 200 watt Classic and the 300 watt Black Label "Zack Wylde" versions? What sound or tone differences/improvements might I hear in side by side with Weber Blue Dogs, Celestion Gold, V30, or even alnico Tone Tubbys?

I'm tempted to get one 16 ohm and try it with my Express (should be safe to test it in the 8 ohm jack), then if it really smokes the Webers and the Tone Tubbys, I would get another 16 ohm and put them both in a closed back ported 2x12. If not, I'd be tempted to just keep the one 16 ohm speaker in the 1x12 cab.

Is it worth it? Is it that much different or better? I will not be playing any real metal with it, but I dont think that should stop me from tone-questing after a great speaker that should be able to handle blues and rock and occassional OD/distortion as well as it handles whatever Mr. Wylde throws at it.

What say the people? For around $250 bucks it is an experiment I am willing to pursue if the speaker's rep is really that good......

There is no finer speaker for the electric guitar regardless of style period. All my amps and cabs are loaded with EVM 12L drivers and I also have a 12L proline (early equivalent to the 300watt Zakke version) which I will never part with. It is my go to for a single 12 situation.

The Classic and Black Label are both ceramic speakers just like original EVs.

I wouldn't voluntarily give Zakk Wylde any money, so I'd buy the 12L-Classic if I were you. I owned one and it sounded just like my old EVs.

I don't know what the differences are between the BL and the Classic but I do know the classic has the same voice coil as the original EV 12L and only a slightly different cone.

Though I wouldn't agree with Reckless, it is a very special speaker. I can't think of another guitar speaker that can match the low end response of the EV. It makes a Thiele cab sound like a 4x12. I use a very small rig live, an F30 and a EV loaded Thiele. At volume it sounds as big as Kirstie Alley.

I've been comtemplating selling the original EV12L I got from Monsta-Tone recently.

I tried it in my mesa 3/4 back cab and didn't like it as much as when the Emminence Delta Pro12A was installed in it.

I also tried it in a closed back Lopo Large cab and didn't like that as much as when the Emminence Wizard is installed in the same cab.

To me, the 12L has a '70s/'80s sound, and not in a bad way, but just not what I'm looking for. I've read so much praise for the 12L in the Thiele cab, but lately I've been dropping a bunch of money for my NOS tubes education, so buying another cab right now doesn't appeal to me either.

Hang onto it for a better time and a better cab, or offer it to someone who already loves the 12L so it can find a happy home?

So what about these ones on ebay that look super clean but they say it is from the 1980's, made by EV and labeled "OEM", etc...... as in original EVM-12L probably taken out of an amp like a Mesa.....

Are those worth looking at? I am not sure if something that old could have issues related to age? Or if something that old would still have an alnico magnet? I'm not sure when the ceramics came into popular use.

They are only about $50 bucks less than a new one. If you were looking for one of these speakers, would you stick with the new ones? Or would you jump on the OEM stuff (assuming it's mint or near mint, etc)??

EVs haven't used AlNiCo magnets since the '60s. All EVMs are ceramic.

The ones on eBay will either be OEM or have the Mesa Black Shadow label - depends mostly upon whether the cab they went in was closed or open.

Yes, they're only about $50 cheaper than the new ones, but $50 is $50, is it not? And they are the 'original' speakers, the cones on the new ones is close but not identical (which is why they went out of production in the '90s - the cone supplier went away).

If you buy used and don't like them, you sell them and lose little or nothing. If you buy new and don't like them...you lose $50 or so.

Here's an "old" EVM 12L. The Mesa label will mean a higher resale value should you choose to sell it later.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mesa-Boogie-EV-Black-Shadow_W0QQitemZ290268287145QQihZ019QQcategoryZ121165QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If you really want an AlNiCo speaker that can handle high power, check out the Jensen Blackbird. About $260.
I'm going to get one as soon as I sell a couple houses :lol:

Latest posts

Back