Combo Speaker Swap Chronicles.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phyrexia

Reaction score
So I got to screwin' and unscrewin' the other night, after I bought what I felt was a severely undervalued Eminence MS-12 speaker. It's my intention to put that speaker in my combo, at least for a bit, to see what it's like. I've only ever heard one in a Mark IIB.

The Mark Five's speaker is rear mounted (which is a first, I think, for a Mark amp. Does anybody know if widebody Mark IVs were rear or front mounted?) and the baffle is 3/4" thick or so. Due to the shape of the grille board, it's not possible to front mount a speaker without modifying the baffle or the grille. Even with a celestion-styled stamped frame speaker, the mounting rim still is too tall and the grille board won't be flush.

I rear-mounted a Great Plains Audio 417-8H (it's a Altec Lansing 417-8H) to test the fit and it clears the power tubes and reverb tank. However, I'll need longer bolts to hold the speaker in place. So that's no problem.

However, judging from pictures, the MS12 is closer to the size of a 12L than a 417. The diameter of the magnet is what scares me. I may need to modify the baffle with a router in order to countersink the speaker from the front.

Thoughts?

I'll have some pictures in the next couple days to chronicle my debacle.

I don't know if I'd go routing the V's baffle just to 'try out' a speaker. I always like to keep things stock or at least devise a way to be able to return the amp to stock easily. That's just me though...

This is why God (Randall Smith) invented extension cabinets. Get a 1x12 empty avatar cab for cheap and play mad scientist with it instead of modifying the V. :D

Like I said, it might not be necessary, but I have a feeling it might. It would be a very simple operation, and invisible.

I have a compact 1x12 combo and a thiele anyway. But neither of them sound just like the Mark V combo cab.

MS-12 fits, no mods required, no movement of anything required. It's actually shorter than an MC90. :)

Only got to play it for about thirty seconds. So more on the sound tomorrow.

Well the forst thing that i do is replace the C90. Itis my opinion that he c90 is the weak link
in the mark combos. My speaker of choice is the EV12. The speaker in mark 4 is rear mounted.
Upon replaceing the c90 with a ev 12, ifound that the outer rim of the ev is thicker tan the c90 andit is areal pain to get one of your pre amp tubes back in.

In fact it almost touches the speaker and the nuts thar hold the speaker in do not go as far down as they should.

No worries though I played th Mark 4 live many hours with out a hitch.

the Mark v is eaiser to replace than the mark 4, yep thats the first thing i did wasreplace the c90
with a ev. It is a overall improvment for you mark

wnlively

So you're saying you fit an EVM 12L in the V combo, no problem? I didn't try that yesterday. Very happy with the MS12's weight and sound. but I do have another 12L that's no in my Thiele.

I think the MC90 sounds great for some things. Not so great for others.

Ok, so with longer studs, a 12L fits. You must relocate the reverb tank to the footswitch bag location. I am unable to fit my finger between one of the 6L6s and the 12L magnet, but I have big fingers :eek:

But then Extreme mode is unuseable (just like with the IV with presence pushed I had for six months). Never had that problem with my IIIs because they're not as bright.

I just got my combo yesterday. I had initially planned on getting a head so I have a 2x12 cab with a celestion gold and celestion heritage 65. This cab sounds great with the mk5. Plenty of low end. Channel 1 clean and all of channel 3 modes sound plenty full with my humbucking guitars.
Since I have the combo I tried the stock 90. It was better than I expected. I decided to try it in the 4 ohm socket (a safe mismatch, see manual) and actually liked it better that way. I sounds just a bit darker to my ears. I also have 1x12 cabs with an EV and another with an Altec 417 I will be experimenting with

I love my 4178H and it fits inside the V combo. But it doesn't match the style of music I'm primarily playing.

Any one try a Celesion Gold in their Combo? I know it'd be risky in 90W...

Sorry for my ignorance but what is the MS12?

It is a 12" Eminence speaker (power capacity 150 W) that was coming with Mark II-Bs and II-Cs, sometimes as OEM (no sticker) and sometimes as a Mesa Black Shadow speaker (with a black sticker).
It came with plain cone or with ribbed cone.

You could also find them in 2x12 or 4x12, in the open back section of the cabinet.

Back