Clean boost / EQ for my Express 5:25 1x12

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kensmith

Reaction score
I am proud new owner of a Express 5:25 1x12 (vintage30) and absolutely love it. Yes it's the "classic" version, and the fact that there is a new one out is likely why I got a good trade deal for it.

Anyway, I have been experimenting around with hitting the front end of the amp with pedals (seems to take pedals great too), and I have read that the best thing to do is put a clean boost in the loop to hit the power section harder.

My questions:
1. would EQ in the loop be equally good (ie. leave sliders level and just increase volume slider)
2. are there advantages to clean boost over EQ? I like the idea of EQ for post preamp tone shaping if needed.
3. would a transparent od with gain set low and volume up....color the sound too much

Here is the way I am running it now.
Guitar (usually dual humbucker guitars, but sometimes strats) --> Boss TU2 --> Fulltone FD2Mos --> Express5:25
In the 5:25 loop I have: TC Electronics Nova Delay --> EH Holy Grail Reverb (no longer needed...love the reverb on the Express)

On the bench I have a Danelectro Transparent Overdrive (V1 that had the accusations that circuit was clone of PaulC Timmy forcing a redesign).

Initially I was playing mostly the 30w mode, but recently have discovered the 5w mode with some EQ changes......very nice.
All help and suggestions are appreciated.

an EQ in the loop with the volume slider up won't help you much, it's the same as turning up the master volume on the amp so you dont really need it for that...

Krek13 said:
an EQ in the loop with the volume slider up won't help you much, it's the same as turning up the master volume on the amp so you dont really need it for that...
I don't think his amp has a master volume.

I use a GEQ in the loop sometimes for solo boosts or a change in tone. It works wonders.
I have a Boss GE-7. Really horrible in it's stock form, way too much noise and hiss.
I installed the Fromel Sniper Mod kit ($17 on flea bay) and it made a world of difference!
I even use this pedal in the loop of my Rectoverb sometimes.

I really like EQ's more than boosts because they allow you to tweak the tone and boost the volume.

To get more distortion out of the amp though, a boost or overdrive in front of the amp would probably work the best.
For that, I have used an AC Drive (really nice, but not gritty enough for me), modified MXR Distortion + (pretty noisy and thin in it's stock form), HAO Rust Driver (decent pedal, but there is no gain knob), and a BYOC OD-2. The OD-2 was by far my favorite! I am going to have to build another one!

EQ in the loop is great for NON-SOLO switch amps. The Transparent drive up front should add a nice layer of gain in front of your dirty channel (low drive, higher level). The best PURE clean boost I have ever used is a C.A.L. Mark 4.23. I used it for a solo boost on my Dyne- I also played with it in front of the drive...killer pedal. Also- I am sure the 5:25 doesnt have a master volume.
A maxon OD808 is also a great pedal in front of a dirty channel to add gain, tighten the pre lows...

Simple. Xotic EP-Booster. Pure bliss for any Boogie and can add a little treble to make leads step out.

Kind of late to this but I got an Analogman Prince of Tone that has a Boost mode that really works great with my 5:25. Thought I'd pass it on.

kdorsey said:
Simple. Xotic EP-Booster. Pure bliss for any Boogie and can add a little treble to make leads step out.

I'll second this. I work in a music shop in Richmond, VA. We got like 5 of these little guys on order and within two days or so, they were gone. I promised myself as soon as they came back in I would snag one. I did and I basically leave it on it sounds so D*&^ good!!

T

Latest posts

Back