Buying advice, please....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4pictures

Reaction score
Dear all,

I would like to ask for your expert opinions and advice which amp to buy. Here's my story:

In my teens and early twens I have happlily and ferociously played in several bands at the same time doing rock covers, fusion, funk and cool jazz on a very amateurish level. I always ended up being the backing guy due to my non-existent technical playing capabilities, but liked it nevertheless.

Then life went on - as some of you have experienced as well - I needed to focus on a job, feed the kids, maintain a home etc. Funnily, the job included producing some film soundtracks you all are familiar with. So for more than 20 years I was sitting behind the window telling fabulous artists way beyond my means what the heck they did wrong in the last take and corrected it.

A while ago I decided that it was time for me to spend quality time rather than making other people even richer. Just for fun I picked up guitar again an this time took a few hours of proper tuition. WHAT A REVELATION! Somehow all the music theory I always knew and the producing experience fell together and for the first time in my life I was able to play the music that had been confined to the inner of my head MYSELF.

Long story, short ending: I am way away from being a pro guitar player (and frankly with the way the business works today I don't think I will ever want to be), but was lucky enough to find others who share the same passion for music with me to form a "club project". We do everything from 70's to today's covers with a heavy lean to southern bluesy rock, and in a different setup we now are venturing into fusion land (think: Spyro Gyra) again.

Now, with the happy surprise of an unexpected tax refund, for the first time in my life I will be able to afford one of the holy grail tone amps putting price out of the way.

As you can see, versatility and immediate recall of different sounds is important to me, as well as the ability to come back to that Mk2c+ fluid lead sound (in my current setup I play a heavily modded 335-style with splitable PU's to a TS 808, Boss DD-6, Marshall chorus/flanger pedal to a Mesa Studio Pre into the clean input of a Fender Blues Junior).

Portability is not so much of an issue, but bear in mind we will only play clubs of 300 at the max with PA available, so I do not need a full stack but would much prefer a combo. As the stage floor is very limited, size is an issue. Sound quality at low levels is much much more important as we rehearse in a studio setting and all of us are very disciplined and focus on tone rather than level.

I have read a lot of good things about the Express series, but in a short play-thru in a local music store found it a bit flat sounding on lower levels - maybe I did not not give it enough time. I also like the programming abilities of a Triaxis combined with a low wattage amp and a 1x12. Never heard a roadster.

Sorry for the long wind, any ideas out there for a jack-of-all-trades for me?

And: This should be the last amp I buy.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts,

Peter

Hmmmm.

This is a bit off-the-cuff, but if you're really looking for a lot of flexibility, you might well consider looking for a used Mk IV head and a Thiele cabinet. The cabinet will offer a bit bottom end than the combo, but you might find the combo to be just fine for your purposes. The head + cab will be easier to transport just because each part is lighter than the combination...not so much hassle to pick up.

I have both the above combination and a Lone Star Special. While the Lone Star Special is fabulous - cleans better than any amp I have ever played - the Mk IV is still more flexible overall.

My two cents.

Dave

Great post 4Pictures - welcome back to playing the music in your head.

Another vote for a MkIV.

from your post i would say look into the following amps if you looking strictly at Mesa:
1. Mark IV - Probably one of the best fits for what you described. With the right amount of tweeking it can do it all. Also if your covering a bunch of different stuff an OD or 2 wouldnt hurt to use with channel 2 to get different levels of gain.

2. DC-10 - Another great fit. Can do basically everything the Mark IV can with the right tweeks but has a little more gain and bottom end like the rectos. Again if you need a lot of different tones i'd look into an OD or 2 to use with channel 1.

3. Roadster - Better cleans than the DC-10 and Mark IV. Channel 2, with a simple mod can do all the stiletto very well. Channel 3 can go from a classic rock using the raw mode, to modern day high gain with the modern mode. Channel 4 mimmics channel 3 but has a little more bass and gain on tap. With this amp you may not need an OD as you already have 4 amazing tones on tap... but of course an OD can turn this 4 channel monster into an 8 channel 1 (i recommend the OCD)

4. Stiletto Deuce - These two channels go a very long way. Go from sweet vintage clean to sweet liquidy lead and crunchy gain. The only down side is if you need a lot of different tones i'd say an OD or two would be a must.

I mention using ODs a bunch not because the amps need them but i've found the right OD can give you additional tones than one may need in a cover band.

Outside of Mesa i'd say take a look at the Splawn Nitro, VHT Sig X, or Rivera Knucklehead 55 or 100. I especially dig the Rivera for covering a lot of tonal ground... it goes from fender clean to searing leads and just about everything in between. The best part is its a midi controlled head similar to the triaxis so you can control amp channels and funtions (similar to what my rjm rg16 does but its built into the head). So if you get something like the gmajor for fx you can do a lot of tone shaping and control both the fx and amp with the rivera head master footswitch.

Now i might get **** for this but hear me out. Take a good hard look at fractal audio's axe-fx. if you need a lot of different tones, studio quality fx and are comfortible with tweaking the axe-fx might be a great fit. Do believe the hype because they do have the feel of a tube amp and can get you just about any tone you want. definitely a great options for travelling light (go right into the sound board and/or a few wedge monitors. The modelling of the cabs and amp's power section is unlike anything i've ever heard outside of a real tube amp. i think the idea of just having to bring a 2 space preamp/fx unit, a midi footswitch and possibly a few qsc monitors (if you dont go direct into the sound system) is very refreshing.

Hi,

thanks very much for your thoughts - seems the MkIV is fav on the list.

@jdurso: I have an order to hire one of the Fractal pieces - from their website demos I'm a little mixed on sound but it is probably the most versatile little box out there. Certainly way beyond a POD.

Funny impression: No one of you seems to like the Triaxis. To much geared for metal only? Or why else? Theoretically the Triaxis/G-Major is a great combination, maybe paired with a (German built) El-34.com power amp in 6L6 mode.

Maybe I am completely wrong or just stupid but in my mind I keep on thinking about patch saving - in one of our cover sets for example we go from Blue Jean Blues to My Sherona and on to Not Fragile ending on a heavy version of Evil Ways. On my Studio Pre including pedals I have not found a way to do this without twiddling knobs, and I fear much more so on such a sophisticated piece of amp like a Mk IV.

Another example: In the fusion setup (which seems to get bigger attention than the butt-shaking band, surprise) I have to come from a Carlton-type Wes Montgomery tune straight into Harbour Nights and then back to lead on Goodbye Pork Pie Hat (not quite Jeff Beck, but close as we have reeds).

Today I am dancing around the floor, trying to make ends meet but NEVER feel comfy as I have to take too many compromises (don't forget my playing limitations).

I am afraid having a great tone for everything always is too much to ask for (I might just get a Flextone, I know), but from the reactions down on the floor, people might not know but feel what is right....

Sad me, still undecided....

4pix

You might remember one thing here, in your quest for the perfect tone for each tune. To wit:

You need to sound like you.

This may mean finding the minimum set of variant tones that works for the broadest possible variety of songs, yet unmistakably reflects *your voice.*

Dave

you have my dilemma ... every other song, I would like to transform my tone from a strat->Deluxe Reverb to a LP->pushed Marshall to a ... well I get the picture and so do you.

I have a pedal board with just a few effects - delay, OD, wah ...

I like my Mark III the best as it give me the sweetest tone, yet my LSC is great. obviously, with two good channels and a "lead" on each amp, I can get a decent range, but NOT EVERYTHING. unless I pull a Petrucci or Timmons and hook both of them up, get a multi-thousand effect programmer, A/B/Y switch to get everything together ...

Try to fiddle with your guitar controls to get more range. I "back off" with the guitar controls and see what happens. I can't get every tone exactly like the record.

I watch quite a few concerts ... they can't get it perfect either, and they are playing the same **** they recorded with (I assume). Don't worry, Be Happy

Dear all,

thanks again for your kind words - my earlier post re sound variety did reflect my current setup only, which is VERY limited. Any of the nicer amps will certainly change that.

As for what to do, some outside factor has taken the decision for me: For the next year or so my physician has ordered me to avoid any weight-lifting because of a spinal problem he is trying to fix. So it will be a Triaxis, G-Major and a Midi stompbox directly into house PA for a while.

As boogie gear holds its value quite well, I will possibly upgrade to a MKiv as soon as my back is better....

4pictures said:
Dear all,

thanks again for your kind words - my earlier post re sound variety did reflect my current setup only, which is VERY limited. Any of the nicer amps will certainly change that.

As for what to do, some outside factor has taken the decision for me: For the next year or so my physician has ordered me to avoid any weight-lifting because of a spinal problem he is trying to fix. So it will be a Triaxis, G-Major and a Midi stompbox directly into house PA for a while.

As boogie gear holds its value quite well, I will possibly upgrade to a MKiv as soon as my back is better....

Sorry to hear about the back.

As for the triaxis, i loved mine paired with the 2:90 power amp. You can basically get any Mark sound you want but thats where i feel the limitation si for trying to cover as much ground as you need. I do agree you wnat to sound like you but for a cover band its about getting the basic tone in the ballpark which to me is the amp's job. With your back and and the amount of sounds you need i think the Axe-fx is a great fit. It will require some tweaking but its not as much a comprimise in tone and feel as most expect. The feel, tone and small nuances of a tube amp are there. Some of the models dont get you a 100% replication but **** close enough. I would give it a fair try because all you would need is the axe right into the sound board and your guitar. Very simple setup, less to lug around and less pieces to look at when things go wrong.

btw the demo's on the fractal site do not do it justice. there are some better clips floating around the fractal forum. it may not be for everyone but its definitely a great option for your situation.

Back