Best speakers for non-metal Mark V tones?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mink

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a Mark V. The tones I'm into are decidedly old-school - Twins, Ac30s, Matchless, Bluesbreakers etc... In other words, the opposite of Dream Theater's super heavy vs. ultra clean vibe. I rented the amp for a week and found I could get almost anything out of it... incredible!

So I'm wondering what speakers you guys would recommend for a vertical slant 2x12. Tried it with four Vintage 30s, seemed pretty cool, maybe a bit pushy in the mids, but close. I don't want to haul a 4x12 though.

2 of the same speaker? 2 different ones? You guys are the gurus...

I am not a guru but during my 1 month with the MkV I ve played through my 2x12 with a
WGS ET65 & Vet.30 combination and really liked it. The vet. 30 handled the mids while the ET 65 sweetened the high end a bit. Nice through all channels and really balanced and tight at gig volumes.
Then I swapped for 2x celestion century vintage neo to save me some weight (mission accomplished).
So far at house volumes they sound quite nice but the 3rd channel sounds a bit mushier but not necessarily in a bad way. In my little experience V30 variants can sound a bit harsh with higher gain at low volumes and the neos perform better in that regard. They might be a bit honky at higher gain now that I think about it but generally they are fine.

kinda the same thing with ch.2 but I like that in that channel as the gain is a wee bit smoother for the non-metal rhythm chunks I use it for.
The WGS combo had slightly more balls but the neo combo is not very far and imho the weight reduction is worth it. Overall I think the neos sound a bit better at low volumes.
I'll know tomorrow at the gig how they do at high volume but so far I am happy with them.
I do expect that ch.3 will come together at higher volumes and regain it's articulation.
Running through my LSS combo shell with the c90 sounds very nice as well.

It would be interesting to hear how this amp does with alnico speakers but it would be an expensive experiment for me.
Hope I have given you some pointers. Interested in what others have to say.

Best,
T

I have Scumback M75s in a 4x12. Love 'em. Pretty much nail the classic british tone, at least as far as the MKV will let you. AC/DC all day and good cleans which I was very happy with. I love the combination of a big piece of the Marshall tone with the Mark V. They are pricey so I had to feel confident when I bought them.

I'm not an expert. I've never done much toying with different speakers other than what usually come in an amp or cabinet. I did have two Eminence Texas Heats in a 2x12 at one point and I liked them. Still, I prefer the Scumbacks for what I'm shooting for.

Good luck!

Post-gig impressions on the century vintage neos:

In the clean channel they were too spanky and the amp felt stiff. Good for the overall mix tho
On channel 3 notes in the higher register sounded a bit raspy.
Generally not bad but might have to rethink about the et65+vet.30 combo.
I'll wait for the new neo speakers to break in a while longer first

I have a preference for EVM12L Black Label speakers. The EV classic is a bit less tight on the bass but either way, the speaker will handle what you throw at it. Currently I have an oversized Recto 412 with the EV-BL. I can nail Led Zeppelin and ACDC very easily. However, I also have a Mark IV with same speaker in it. With the open back cavity, the EV speaker can still perform as good as a sealed cabinet but yet sound refined enough for blues, jazz and everything that spawned from the roots. Low volume in 10W mode all the way to 90W going full tilt. The EV will slightly tint the tone but not as dramatic as the V30 or MC90. I am seriously considering converting my head to a combo. That way I get the benefit of the open back and still can drive an external speaker enclosure of my choosing and use the combo as a head. I have used another speaker but they are hard to find in the US, Fane AXA Studio 12L. Similar to the EV classic but very neutral in coloration (flat response curve), almost seems to lack the mid hum you get with most speakers. When used on the clean channel, it s dry and airy tone that you would swear you are playing an acoustic vs an electric but on the heavy side it delivers as well. For a while, I did try out a WGS Black Hawk HP100. That is an amazing speaker and sounded the best with the Mark V when compared to the Mark IV that it was housed in. As a single speaker option, I believe the Marks were too much for it as the driver would overheat (the WGS Black Hawk HP100 would be better suited for a 50W amp). The Jensen JET Black Bird would have been a better choice due to the higher power handling capability.

It all depends on you range of genre you are trying to accomplish. Some speakers may not cover the complete range. I feel that the EV does a great job covering the full range of playing styles and is a great match for the Mark Series amps. I would not recommend the EV for the Royal Atlantic, that amp flourishes with the V30 for some reason. I generally play blues and jazz style of music and work my way up to classic rock. Once in a while I will thrash around with Heavy Metal tones but I prefer 60's -80's. If you are into the 50's the Mark V with EV sounds great. It is all subjective anyway. If you are after a more vintage tone, ALNICO driver would be a good option but they are expensive compared to Ceramic drivers.

I have three cabs for use with the V. 1x12 open back with a gold. 2x12 closed back v30/g12h30 and a closed back 2x12 gb/gb. I love the gold over the others. It's great on all channels.

Back