Best Chorus Pedal to use in FX Loop?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guijs

Reaction score
Hello all,

I know there are already many topics about chorus but I just couldn't find any that answered my question: I want the best chorus pedal to use in the Mark V FX Loop, so then I can set the loop to act only in the clean channel, which is where I want this effect. I saw many people complaining about noises using "front level" pedals in the FX loop, so I now I need to choose this carefully.

Is the EHX Small Clone and Analogman Chorus good options? Which other do you guys recommend?

I have guitars with EMG 81/60, 81/85 and BKP C-Warpigs pickups and I'm looking for that old metallica chorus tone.

Thanks in advance!

I ended up buying a BOSS CE-5 used in a very good price. From all I have read this seems to be a good model to start since it have the knobs for ajustments.

The other options I was considering were:

TC Electronics Corona
Carl Martin XII
Analogman
EHX Small Clone

The best for one person may not be the best for you; my DOD Icebox Chorus sounds just as good as my TC Corona Chorus (which is my favorite because of it's versatility) when I run them through my fx loop. Trust YOUR ears. Boss chorus pedals have stood the test of time, and have been under many a prominent foot. It's all about how much you're willing to pay to have "that sound"...

I suggest finding out what Hammett and Hetfield used back then, and try to find the same pedal on Ebay or Craigslist.

Happy tone hunting!!

jasonhobert37 said:
I use a TC Nova Modulator in the FX loop for my chorus. It has a few different chorus options, none of which I've been thrilled with.

I was also not over-the-top excited by the Nova Modulator. I ditched it for an Eventide Modfactor and was much happier that way. I also have a TC Corona Chorus, and it does sound good as well.

Zlofengir said:
The best for one person may not be the best for you; my DOD Icebox Chorus sounds just as good as my TC Corona Chorus (which is my favorite because of it's versatility) when I run them through my fx loop. Trust YOUR ears. Boss chorus pedals have stood the test of time, and have been under many a prominent foot. It's all about how much you're willing to pay to have "that sound"...

I suggest finding out what Hammett and Hetfield used back then, and try to find the same pedal on Ebay or Craigslist.

Happy tone hunting!!

I agree. I know that James use the Roland JC120 Jazz Chorus for clean, and I saw a picture somewhere of them using the Boss CH-1 in a recent gig.

Anyway, I bought a Boss CE-5 chorus and I'm liking it. It gives me that subtle chorus effect that I was looking for. And it is a good pedal to start to get familiar with this effect. It will be easier to know what I like or don't like when in the future I compare it to a EHX, Corona, Carl Martin, etc.

As for the FX Loop, It is working just the way I wanted. I set the loop knob on the back of the amp to have the effect only in ch1, as I only want the chorus on clean channel.

I actually quickly tried it in channel 3 but tone was badly affected in the high end. Maybe is some setting that I have to change.

I went for the TC Nova System in FX loop and quite happy with it.

I see no tone sucking, the effects are sounding amazing.

I tried the Corona Chorus but had a hard time with the mix settings on it. Couldnt get a good blend in the loop. Has anyone tried mr black Eterna or providence anadime on the Mark V?

I've used a Red Witch Empress, which sounds beautiful, before I downsized my board and kicked off a bunch of analog modulation with the H9. Bit pricey though.

Latest posts

Back