Back of amp flashes with a blue light when turning amp on

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickocaster

Reaction score
When I just turned on my Mark V, the back of the amp lit up shortly with a blue light. A flash of light against the back of the wall. It happened a few weeks ago as well. Amp sounds great, no problems when I play it. I have played it for hours since the first flash. No weird smells, smoke or any other sonic difference. I changed all the tubes mid July. Anyone knows what this might be?

Some power tubes flash when they’re powering up :) I’ve thought it’s normal..

If you want an official answer from Boogie, just call or email them. They have been really responsive when I have contacted them.

Thanks for the tip! I just got of the phone with a tech and I’m going to bring it to him. I’m located in The Netherlands so sending it to Mesa is going to be a little expensive I think.

This happened to me multiple times. Each time it was a bad rectifier tube doing the flashing. Replace and all is well. I would say it is not normal for the flash which can be seen against the wall. Boogie told me that back when I had my issue. So, try to find that flashing tube and replace it, I would say.

Thanks Mace! Finally someone who had the same experience. Yesterday I turned my amp on and no flash. I’ll check the tubes to see which one it faulty. I have an idea the Jan/Philips 12at7wa in V4 might be a candidate. I changed the rectifier tube in February, so it might be dying by now.

I’d be surprised if it was one of the 12ax7s or 12at7 or whatever since those are canned. But you never know! I would think it would be one of the power tubes or rectifier tubes since those are not covered up.

That’s what I was thinking as well. I have a feeling it’s the rectifier. It hasn’t happened since and I have played it several times. Unfortunately for some weird reason the rectifier tube isn’t available anymore here in The Netherlands. So haven’t been able to get one yet.

Back