Anyone ever rotated the EL84 tubes in their Lonestar Special?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Coll (c00lt0m)

Reaction score
I mostly play in the 5 watt mode which means I'm only using one power tube. I had a brainstorm that I could take the wear and tear off that one tube if I rotated them. Am I crazy?

I mostly play in the 5 watt mode which means I'm only using one power tube. I had a brainstorm that I could take the wear and tear off that one tube if I rotated them. Am I crazy?
Nope.

Just have some kind of logging when to change the whole set.

Was thinking the same procedure for my MK V:90 actually

The 5 watt mode I think only uses one tube, while the other is a "current sink"? I think I do remember reading something in some of the mesa manuals about swapping the inners and outers if you use the half power mode most of the time, but also it's going to depend on how hard you drive the amp. And, those filaments are on whether the tubes are in use or not.

The 5 watt mode I think only uses one tube, while the other is a "current sink"? I think I do remember reading something in some of the mesa manuals about swapping the inners and outers if you use the half power mode most of the time, but also it's going to depend on how hard you drive the amp. And, those filaments are on whether the tubes are in use or not.
I went ahead and switched the inner and outer tubes. I'm not sure if I accomplished anything of value but the amp still sounds great!

Back