Anybody used EMG passives?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoG

Reaction score
My Jackson has active EMGs in it right now and so it has the extremely convenient no-solder wiring harness.

I want to try a set of passives in it, because it's had EMGs since I bought it, but not badly enough to sit down with a soldering iron. I'm not corksniffy about pickups, I just want to try something lower output/less compressed. I've been playing my vintage Yamaha SG lately with its mid-output stock pickups and loving the feel.

I had their Rev set in a guitar for awhile.

I think EMG has the best no solder system period. I do remember when they only had that at the pickup, you still had to solder the pots, switch and jack.

You’ll still have to change the pots, but at least it’s a super easy and fast change.

Dom

I had their Rev set in a guitar for awhile.

I think EMG has the best no solder system period. I do remember when they only had that at the pickup, you still had to solder the pots, switch and jack.

You’ll still have to change the pots, but at least it’s a super easy and fast change.

Dom
Yah, I've got the EMG pots in there and everything already, that's why I wanted to stay with EMG...

What did you think of the Revs? They're got decent reviews but $200 is more than I was looking to drop based on my previous experience with pickup changes.

Yah, I've got the EMG pots in there and everything already, that's why I wanted to stay with EMG...

What did you think of the Revs? They're got decent reviews but $200 is more than I was looking to drop based on my previous experience with pickup changes.
You can’t use the active pots, they are only 25K ohm. You will need to swap out to the EMG 500K pots.

I thought they sounded good clean and with OD/Rock tones, but just don’t deliver when really pushing the gain.

I felt they were good enough to hold onto though, and now that I’m moving towards more modern melodic/prog tones I just might throw them in again. I haven’t tried them with the Triple Crown. I also have a guitar with EMG’s, an 85/60 set (85 at the bridge), I’ll use that guitar because it’s the easiest to disassemble, electronics-wise. The Rev set has a 4 or 5 pin connection at the pickup so I have to run new wires from the pickups, as well as swap the pots, but no soldering iron needed.

Dom

You can’t use the active pots, they are only 25K ohm. You will need to swap out to the EMG 500K pots.

I thought they sounded good clean and with OD/Rock tones, but just don’t deliver when really pushing the gain.

Appreciate the info my man. Probably gonna stick with what I have rather than heading down a rabbit hole!

Back