Active vs Passive Pickups on Mark V

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkaczano

Reaction score
I have been testing pickups with my Mark V. I was wondering if there is an optimal way to set up the amp in Channel 3 using active vs. passive pickups?

I have:
PRS Terero (EMG 85/81 in neck/bridge ) - active pickups: Probably the most distortion of all three guitars. But not very dynamic. Neck pick-up does not really have a lot of versatility (I barely use it).

LesPaul Studio (490/498 - I think) - passive pickups: The warmest of the three. Less distortion than the EMG 85/81.

JP6 Ernie Ball (Liquid Fire/Crunch Lab) - active pickups: Probably the most dynamic. More distortion than the Gibson 490/498 and less than the EMG 85/81. Still searching for right set up for these pickups.

I typically play with:
GAIN = 1-2:00 position;
Master = 7:30 position
Presence 2:00 position
Mids cut out of EQ

Thanks

rkaczano said:
I have been testing pickups with my Mark V. I was wondering if there is an optimal way to set up the amp in Channel 3 using active vs. passive pickups?

I have:
PRS Terero (EMG 85/81 in neck/bridge ) - active pickups: Probably the most distortion of all three guitars. But not very dynamic. Neck pick-up does not really have a lot of versatility (I barely use it).

LesPaul Studio (490/498 - I think) - passive pickups: The warmest of the three. Less distortion than the EMG 85/81.

JP6 Ernie Ball (Liquid Fire/Crunch Lab) - active pickups: Probably the most dynamic. More distortion than the Gibson 490/498 and less than the EMG 85/81. Still searching for right set up for these pickups.

I typically play with:
GAIN = 1-2:00 position;
Master = 7:30 position
Presence 2:00 position
Mids cut out of EQ

Thanks
It really all comes down to a matter of your tastes. Actives will usually have a lot more output, so you can usually back off the gain a bit.

BTW- The Liqifire & Crunch Lab are passive pickups.

Dom

With actives I typically run the bass around 12:00. With passives I typically cut the bass down to around 10:00 for rock and 9:00 for metal.

That said, if you're going to scoop out all the mids it doesn't really matter how you dial the amp in, it's going to sound like **** regardless.

I actually didn't realize that the Dimarzios (LiquidFire and Crunch Lab) were passive. I did not know the pick-up was for the Peizo! Good to know. I will explore the tone of each a little further.

Thanks

Back