? About Grounding With New Headshell

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bshizzle

Reaction score
I am in the process of building a headshell for my Mark IV. When examining the empty combo shell, I noticed on the inside of the top piece there is some metal sheet-like material with a piece of copper on each side. It is mounted in a way that when you mount the chassis, the copper pieces come into contact with the metal chassis of the amp.

Is this some sort of grounding mechanic? I've noticed on some pics of other guys building headshells they also have some metal shielding material in the same spot.

Do I need to include this in my headshell? Thanks

It's shielding (not a ground) for the uncovered top if the chassis, to prevent picking up noise from dimmer switches, fluorescent lights, cell phones, stray radio transmissions, Homeland Security Black Helicopters, etc.
Just staple some aluminum foil to the inside top, and scew those copper-finger-thingys into it. No sweat.

Its a good idea to check that the shield is well connected to ground with a continuity meter,if not the shield will act like an antenna and cause noise problems.Foil is fine,but I would recomend using the heavy duty stuff,it doesnt tear as easily when sliding the chassis in and out.You can insure a better ground connection by using a wire connected to a toothed lock washer or the like and one of the chassis mounting screws atteched at the other end to the shielding.

How do you mean? I have to connect the shielding to a ground somewhere. You say a screw on the chassis would work?

Foil shielding is connected to the copper-finger-thingies. Copper-finger-thingies are connected to the chassis. Chassis is connected to ground.
QED.
Just make the new one look like the old one and you'll be fine.

MrMarkIII said:
Foil shielding is connected to the copper-finger-thingies. Copper-finger-thingies are connected to the chassis. Chassis is connected to ground.
QED.
Just make the new one look like the old one and you'll be fine.

QED. HAHAHAHAH!

Nice.

Latest posts

Back