A New Addition-Triple Rectifier

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cscotto

Reaction score
Well, my Nomad 100 has been looking a little out of place with my other amps, and the local GC has had this 3 channel Triple Rectifier for a while. They had it listed at $1099. I got them down to $900, and they gave $700 on trade for my Nomad. I paid $700 for the Nomad, so I thought this was fair. So I have a 3 channel Triple Rectifier for $200. It had a bad Send pot on the FX loop, which I replaced. It came loaded with EH 6L6s, and Sovtek LPSs in V1-V5. It sounded really thick and punchy with those tubes. Nevertheless, I loaded it up with SED Winged Cs. Preamp tubes as follows:
V1 Tung-sol RI
V2 EH 12AX7
V3 New Chinese
V4 New Chinese
V5 Sovtek LPS

It thunders like Thor himself, and I could not be happier. Here is a picture with new tubes before putting the chassis in back in the headshell:
CIMG0015.jpg

Here it is back together and with with some extra goodies:
CIMG0019.jpg

CIMG0021.jpg

And finally, here it is with its Recto brothers:
CIMG0026.jpg

I do have a few questions. I know Rev. G was the last revision of the 2 channel Rectos. I am assuming that the switch to the 3 channel line continued where the Gs left off. The power transformer, OT, and choke all have numbers that correspond to the 2 channel revision G: Choke 550381, 561140 PT, and 562181 OT.
I can't date the amp because the chassis has no initials or date written on it. The serial number is 16,7xx, so I am assuming it must be an early 3 channel since the 2 channel line ended in the 16000s. The PCB say "3 Rec C c 2000." Am I correct to think it is an early 3 channel, maybe from 2000?
The thing that surprises me most about the amp is the total lack of fizziness that I read so many complaints about. This amp is just aggressive and massive. I have a YNot from RJM Music hooked up to my Roadster, so I am going to run the Roadster and Triple together as a stereo rig and set each one for a different part of the frequency spectrum. Thanks in advance.

Congrats man! Triples are a beast! Looks like you have a nice plethora of Rectifiers in that room. Only thing missing is a RK II :lol:

Also, you might want to try EL-34's in one of the two heads that you are going to run in stereo. Gives the sound spectrum an even bigger diversity, with the mid punch of the EL's combining with the low end thump of the 6L6's.

-AJH

MesaENGR412 said:
Congrats man! Triples are a beast! Looks like you have a nice plethora of Rectifiers in that room. Only thing missing is a RK II :lol:

Also, you might want to try EL-34's in one of the two heads that you are going to run in stereo. Gives the sound spectrum an even bigger diversity, with the mid punch of the EL's combining with the low end thump of the 6L6's.

-AJH
Thanks, that is a good idea. I would probably keep 6L6s in the Triple and put EL34s in either roadster or Tremoverb.

You are right, a Road King ll would be nice :lol: This was my answer to the question "which Recto to buy." One thing I have learned is that even though each one has that Recto growl, they are all really different amps capable of going very different places.

Dave G. said:
Congrats on the new amp man!

Thanks! I am going to have to visit your myspace page. I have to Irish Blackened Doom Metal. I love how that sounds.

cscotto said:
Dave G. said:
Congrats on the new amp man!

Thanks! I am going to have to visit your myspace page. I have to Irish Blackened Doom Metal. I love how that sounds.

Thanks man! Check out the tracks and let me know what you think! I hope you like them!

Latest posts

Back