a few Heartbreaker questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talltxguy

Reaction score
1) Why does it only have 1 rectifier tube to handle 4 output tubes? Or if you prefer, why do Dual Recs, Roadsters, etc. have 2 rectifier tubes to handle 4 output tubes? I thought the norm was 1 rectifier tube for 1 or 2 output tubes, 2 rectifier tubes for 4 output tubes, & 3 rectifier tubes for 6 output tubes.

2) I'm a bit confused about why my Roadster has a gain and master volume but no volume, why the Heartbreaker has volume and master but no gain, and why my former Mesa Studio Preamp had volume, gain, and master.

I would ask Monsta-tone since it's his Heartbreaker I am purchasing in a few weeks. I certainly welcome a reply from him, but I know that he is quite busy as well! So any insight would be welcome.

I'm having some problems containing my enthusiasm as Monsta-tone is also installing a reverb bypass and effects loop bypass. I love the Roadster, but I'm just having too many problems getting a satisfactory lead tone. Perhaps I was spoiled by the Studio Pre's lead tone?

First, Monsta-Tone's HB rocks. He modded mine and we have stayed in contact. I love mine and nearly bought his.

As to your questions-
1. All amps with tube recs have but one rectifier tube. Dual rec amps have a choice of tube or diode rectifier, not two tubes. Tube rectifiers tend (as a generality) to have a looser, saggier feel, while diodes tend to be a little tighter, with a faster response. However, on the HB, you havea bold or curvaceous switch, which will achieve the similar effect (Bold is tighter, faster response).
2. regardless of what they call the gain/volume knobs, the circuitry and effect is the same essentially. The first control is controlling the pre-amp, so while it affects volume it also is affecting how hard the preamp tube is being driven. That can translate to gain or drive, but the function pretty much is the same. So, the first knob in the "gain/volume" sequence does that. The last one in the chain is usually the overall "master" volume and controls the power amp level. Mesas mostly are known for pre amp gain and the power amp gain traditionally is pure volume, with little impact on gain (although that is the general rule, there are some mesa amps that have power amp gain impact. HB isn't one of them). So, if you have a two control amp, they usually call the first one gain/vol and the last one either Master or Volume. Typically, if there is a third volume control in the middle, it is Drive, for lack of a better term.
Bottom line, the names aren't consistent or as important as the function. On a Mark amp, you get two levels of gain in the first two knobs and the overall master volume controls loudness. On many other multi channel amp, each channel has its own gain type knob and volume type knob, and then the amp has an overall master volume for the entire rig.

Thanks for the reply. And I am so looking forward to playing the Heartbreaker!

Babow2, got a few more questions when you get a minute.

1) What kind of transformers do you have in your Heartbreaker? Monsta-tone has a really good deal going on with those MM transformers, but I've never had any issue with tone in all of the Boogies (stock transformers) that I've owned.
2) I understand that switching to spongy lowers the plate voltage quite a bit and that using a tube rectifier will lower plate voltage a little. Does switching from bold to curvacious affect plate voltage? Just curious what that bold/curvacious switch actually does!?

Thanks!

Hiya,
I've got a stock transformer. Or, if Monsta tone replaced it, it was with a standard, non MM, transformer. I've owned Boogies since 1981, and I live in Petaluma and know and work with the guys at Mesa. That said, I guess i don't have the "golden ears" some folks may have. My amps have sounded great to me with not much more than replaced tubes and upgraded speakers, and I never felt the urge to spend oodles of time and money trying to find a little "more" tone. So, I have been very happy with my stock innards and Andy's mods on the HB. On that note, all I have done to my Mark V is replace power tubes and add a Tone Tubby speaker.

The manual says that the bold/curvaceous switch adds or deletes negative feedback to the power amp section. I suspect most of your questions can be answered in the manual, which you can download and print at http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/Heartbreaker.pdf

babow2 said:
As to your questions-
1. All amps with tube recs have but one rectifier tube. Dual rec amps have a choice of tube or diode rectifier, not two tubes. Tube rectifiers tend (as a generality) to have a looser, saggier feel, while diodes tend to be a little tighter, with a faster response. However, on the HB, you havea bold or curvaceous switch, which will achieve the similar effect (Bold is tighter, faster response).
While it may be true the Dual/Triple Recs have a choice between tube or diode rectification, it's NOT true that they only have one rectifier tube. The Tube Task Chart in the on-line manual shows the Dual Rec having two rectifier tubes for two pair of output tubes and the Triple Rec having three rectifiers for three pair of outputs. I would suspect Mesa uses the tube for the Curvaceous setting and the diode for Bold.

actually there is a switch on the back of my heartbreaker to change from tube rec to silicon rec. The silicon setting is a bit tighter and more responsive to pick attack. the bold/curvacious switch affects the sound a lot more than the rectifier switch, but doesn't affect the rectifier setting. I tend to use mine in the bold setting all the time, with the tube rectifier setting, but I use a NOS GE 5AR4 rectifier that has less sag than the current russian or chinese versions. it is somewhere in between the chinese rectifier and the silicon setting. of the current production rectifier tubes, I prefer the sound of the chinese over the russian. they do fail, though, without warning, and will take the mains fuse with them. carry spares.

just to clear somthing up, your heartbreaker has only one rec tube because it uses a 5ar4 rec tube which is able to supply sufficient voltage, you can also use a 5u rec if you use the 60w setting only.

+1 on the manual, i have read mine through more than once. Mesa cares about their amps and are proud of their finished product and it shows in their manual. they really go in depth on a lot of functions of the amp, as well as the differences you will find when appying them.

congrats on the new amp. i know youll love it. if you dont, let me know :mrgreen: ill take it off your hands

Latest posts

Back