• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate toThe Boogie Board and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

1985 Hamer Vector For Sale

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lockbody

Reaction score
overall.jpg

My last Hamer, for now. An '85, according to the pot codes as the serial number has rubbed off, pointy headstock Vector. Looks to be a one-off, custom job, as I have yet to see another one like it. Think a VectorKK with another pickup. This was my last Hamer standing after a Californian Elite (super shredder) and a Standard Custom.

First, the bad, this guitar has a headstock repair courtesy of yours truly. This will be a turn-off for some, and I understand, but for those looking for a great guitar that won't look like every other Vector out there, this is it (Most Vectors have the standard "gibson-like" Hamer headstock, which I think looks totally out of place on these guitars). The repair was done by one of the most respected luthiers in the state. A fantastic repair to a break he called "Not that bad. You should see what I call bad.", but I thought it was the end of the world. Not invisible due to the trans finish, but beyond solid. I asked him to whatever it took to make sure it would be as stable as new for trem abuse. Looks were secondary, but I think he did a fantastic job. Follow the links to his shop in link below.

Read all about the break here

Read all about the repair here

Read about how surprised I was to get it unbroken in the first place here

Get a zip of a bunch of higher res pics here (5.08mb)

If you're serious, and want any in their full 9mp 3456x2592 glory, let me know.

Now, the rest of the story:

Other than the above mentioned repair, it's in great shape, with only a few dings and nicks here and there, with one on the top in the clearcloat. All in all, not bad for a twenty-four year old guitar. Closeups are incl in the zip file. A smidge over 8lbs on my fish scale. It's trans cherry, with a flame maple veneer top and matching head stock. It has a factory Kahler, no conversion, the stock arm and chrome tip are incl., and it has the factory "Hamer" Dimarzios. The neck pickup is simply one of the better I've heard, but I'm not a big fan of the stock bridge. I went ahead and reinstalled it so whoever buys it can hear it, but I, like many others, find it woefully underpowered compared to the neck. I'm including the Duncan Custom that I had installed which better balances with the neck, and sounds fantastic, IMO. It really brings out the sound of the all mahogany body. Not too hot, just right. I'll re-install it back before shipping if you'd like (that's what I'd do).

Neck is nice and straight, the fretboard is good shape, nice and dark,and the frets are in good shape with a lot of life left. The neck is a solid "medium". much like the mid-nineties Hamers, but fuller and a tad deeper. The finish right where you arm comes down along the top looks like it could use some buffing. I like 'em clean, but I'm too much of a wuss to put a buffing wheel to one, scared I'd burn through the finish. Pretty much impossible to take a picture of it, and all but invisible except at certain angles/lighting. The case is a beater with a couple of broken latches, but works good and protects the guitar.

I'll throw in all wrenches needed to adjust the Kahler, and them, the SH-5 pickup, and the trem bar will packet separately outside the case. Speaking of packing, it'll be packed to survive, well, to survive the apes at UPS.

I'm lockbody on the Hamer Fan Club, where I've been a member since 2001, and my eBay ID is foolishmusician w/ 100% positive (especially take note of the feedback "Guitar nicer than expected" etc...).

$650 shipped, insured, and paypal'd.CONUS only USPS money order also accepted. I'm not sure I'd ask that for a regular head stocked Vector with a repair, but this isn't one of those. No trades please. Please PM or email to: lockbody at bellsouth dot net

Thanks for looking folks.

full-front-sm.jpg

bodyL-sm.jpg

bodyR-sm.jpg

Repair-sm.jpg

fretboard-02-sm.jpg

body-front-sm.jpg

headstock-sm.jpg

Old BF Shred said:
A couple of quick questions........
What is scale length?
25.5?
24.75?
Other? :? :?:

What size frets? Jumbo? .....Like 6100's? Other?

Thanks! :D

24.75" Scale length
I'm not too up on fret size, but they look much like the medium jumbos on my Strat.

Back